Our Ever-Changing Backyard

14 April 2024 | Zakinthos to Sounion, Greece
13 November 2023 | Orikum, Albania
30 October 2023 | Durrës, Albania
29 October 2023 | Porto Montenegro to Athens, Greece
22 August 2023 | Montenegro
18 April 2023 | Monopoli, Italy - Zadar, Croatia
09 April 2023 | Korčula, Croatia
01 April 2023 | Otok Badija, near Korcula, Croatia
15 March 2023 | Mljet National Park, Croatia
11 December 2022 | Uvala Przina, Pelješac Peninsula, Croatia
20 November 2022 | Uvala Podškolj, Croatia
05 November 2022 | Lopud, Croatia

Dragons, dolphins, and dinghy adventures

26 October 2014 | Pt. Sal to Cojo Anchorage
Vandy
Oct. 6, 2014.
Pt. Conception has a reputation for creating nasty sailing conditions, hence its nickname, "the Cape Horn of California." To avoid these conditions, some boaters time their Pt. Conception passages for the middle of the night, when the conditions are most likely to be calm. We wanted to go in the daytime, which meant that we'd have to go when the weather was mellow. We'd been keeping an eye and and ear on the weather for a few days, to time our rounding of this particular piece of geography with the mellow weather that had been gracing the coast. The light winds and calm seas were forecast to end within a few days; it was time for us to make our move.

Heavy fog blanketed San Luis Bay on the day that we planned to leave. We could afford to wait for it to clear off, though, as our destination was Point Sal, a rocky headland only about 15 miles south. When the fog rolled back from the bay at about 2 pm, we headed out. The fog lingered on the ocean, so we fired up our radar for backup, but the rest of the fog eventually receded and we had pretty good visibility for our sail down to Pt. Sal.

Pt. Sal is a rugged, craggy headland, with crashing breakers and nasty-looking rocks, and nothing to recommend it except for being a convenient location to spend the night before rounding Pt. Conception. On a sunny day, it might have seemed like a nice place; under the thick, gray overcast skies we had, it seemed downright gloomy and foreboding. If there had been another suitable anchorage that we could have reached before dark, we probably would have gone there instead.



According to our cruising guide, the best place to anchor at Pt. Sal is about a quarter mile inside the big white rock that juts out from the point. This rock is not naturally white; it is in fact white because it is a favorite perching spot for hundred of cormorants, pelicans, and gulls, who decorate it with their excrement. We dropped our anchor in the recommended spot. Unfortunately for us, this "best anchoring" spot was downwind from the rock much of the time we were there. It was also close enough to the cliffs and breakers to seem like a bad idea to be there, though it was, in fact, quite safe as long as our anchor held, which of course it did. A fuzzy little bird that looked like a duckling paddled over to check us out when we arrived. I think it was a horned grebe in its winter attire, but I'm not sure.

Oct. 7, 2014.
Today was one of our BEST SAILING DAYS EVER!

We headed out of Pt. Sal early in the morning, under overcast skies, heading south toward the Dreaded Point Conception. For all the talk, you'd think there were krakens and dragons waiting in the water there. We listened to the weather before we left Pt. Sal, and sure enough, no dragons were predicted, so off we went, to meet our destiny....

The weather soon cleared and we had warm weather and sunny skies. We put the sails up and had a fabulous sail down along the coast pushed by 15 knots of wind. More than once, we'd look out to sea and hundreds of dolphins were arcing through the water toward us. Some came to play with SCOOTS' bow wave; others swam around the boat, or leapt out of the water. The water was so clear that it looked as though the bow-riding dolphins were floating in the air. It was magical, to have them with us!



In mid-afternoon, after having seen hundreds of dolphins but no dragons, we rounded Pt. Conception and turned in toward Cojo Anchorage, a lovely cove with sandy beaches and clear, clear water. And we had it all to ourselves.



Oct. 8, 2014.
After taking our showers on the swim step (you can do that when you're the only boat in the anchorage), we put the dinghy in the water, loaded the outboard motor and the dinghy wheels, and headed ashore to practice our beach landings and explore the shoreline and bluffs. The beach landing went great! We waited for a lull in the swells, then Eric followed the surf in and we rolled onto the beach on our wheels. We pulled the dinghy up the beach and started exploring.



Eric went for a closer look at two boats that lay broken and battered on the shore; I walked up the beach looking for animal tracks. Then we both hiked up the bluff overlooking the cove. Not much there except for some dried cow patties (this land is a working cattle ranch), and some turkey vultures. While we were there, a pod of dolphins entered the cove and performed all sorts of acrobatics (aquabatics?), including synchronized flips and arching dives. They were amazing to watch!

We hiked back down and walked along the beach for awhile. Eric found a large abalone shell, which we decided to keep. When we were done exploring, we decide to go back to SCOOTS for lunch.

Getting back to SCOOTS proved more difficult than we'd anticipated. We knew we had to push the dinghy into the surf--between breakers--to get out beyond the surf line quickly. But this proved problematic. It took us four attempts, over the course of an hour, to get back to SCOOTS.

Attempt #1: Dinghy wheels deployed, outboard down and ready, bow-first into waves.
Result: We timed our entry for a lull, then pushed the dinghy into the water, the dinghy started to float, Eric got in, the dinghy wheels landed back on the bottom, we couldn't move, a wave came in, and swamped us. We got soaked, the dinghy got filled with water, we hauled the now-extremely-heavy dinghy back ashore, and spent the next ten minutes draining it and bailing with the abalone shell. And plotting a new strategy.

Attempt #2. Dinghy wheels deployed, outboard down and ready, bow-first into waves, we pushed the dinghy further out before getting in.
Result: Even with more water under them, the wheels landed on the ground again when we got in the dinghy, and we were swamped again. We hauled the now-extremely-heavy dinghy back on shore--again--and drained and bailed and plotted a new strategy. Two harbor seals poked their heads above the water to watch our antics. We must have been amusing.

Attempt #3. Dinghy wheels deployed, outboard down and ready, stern-first into waves.
Result: Hoping to get the wheels into deeper water sooner, we ran the dinghy into the surf stern-first. We got afloat, I jumped in, Eric jumped in and gunned the outboard, threw it into reverse, it roared to life, then stopped abruptly. A wave came in and swamped us. We hauled the now-extremely-heavy dinghy back on shore--again--and drained and bailed and cut away the cubic yard of kelp that had wrapped itself around the outboard motor prop and stopped it cold. And plotted yet another new strategy.

Attempt #4. NO dinghy wheels, NO outboard, bow into waves, row like hell.
Result: Hoping to (A) prevent the massive quantities of kelp floating in the surf from fouling the prop, and (B) keep the dinghy wheels from slowing us down and anchoring us to the ground, and (C) allow us to get the dinghy floating sooner, we took the wheels off, tipped the motor up, and ran with the dinghy as far and as fast as we could into the surf. Eric jumped in, grabbed the oars, and started rowing like hell. I pulled the dinghy into the water as far as I could, which, it turned out, was deeper than I could stand. With nothing to push off of, I had no leverage to pull myself into the dinghy. So while Eric rowed like a madman through the surf line, I held on and tried to make myself as streamlined as possible, and kicked like crazy to try to counteract the drag I was causing. Once we were safely past the surf line, I threw a leg over the side of the dinghy and Eric helped me in. Then we tipped the motor down, started it up, and raced toward SCOOTS, laughing like crazy people.

After rinsing off our clothes and all our gear on the swim step, we sat in the cockpit eating lunch and enjoying the sunshine. Eric suggested that when we get to the first dinghy-landing beach in Mexico, we should hire a local panga to take us to shore and sit on the beach, watching how other cruisers arrive and depart with their dinghies, gleaning from this what works and what doesn't. I think that's a great idea.




Comments
Vessel Name: Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 48
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Eric and Vandy Shrader
About: We've been living aboard full time since September 2014. We sailed our Able Apogee 50, SCOOTS, from 2012-2021, and are now aboard our Leopard 48, Awildian, since March 2022.
Social:
Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)'s Photos - Main
18 Photos
Created 14 April 2024
16 Photos
Created 27 January 2024
10 Photos
Created 15 December 2023
36 Photos
Created 27 November 2023
13 Photos
Created 13 November 2023
19 Photos
Created 29 October 2023
37 Photos
Created 21 August 2023
20 Photos
Created 8 August 2023
54 Photos
Created 1 August 2023
93 Photos
Created 27 July 2023
75 Photos
Created 4 May 2023
34 Photos
Created 1 April 2023
19 Photos
Created 15 March 2023
20 Photos
Created 11 December 2022
9 Photos
Created 20 November 2022
24 Photos
Created 4 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 9 October 2022
12 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
5 Photos
Created 30 August 2022
23 Photos
Created 21 August 2022
8 Photos
Created 8 August 2022
1 Photo
Created 3 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 1 August 2022
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2022
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2022
38 Photos
Created 3 July 2022
15 Photos
Created 11 June 2022
1 Photo
Created 19 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 26 March 2021
27 Photos
Created 6 August 2020
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2020
8 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
3 Photos
Created 13 October 2019
43 Photos
Created 28 September 2019
27 Photos
Created 27 July 2019
1 Photo
Created 15 July 2019
11 Photos
Created 3 July 2019
3 Photos
Created 6 May 2019
13 Photos
Created 4 March 2019
2 Photos
Created 26 November 2018
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2018
11 Photos
Created 27 October 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2018
6 Photos
Created 21 September 2018
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2018
7 Photos
Created 19 June 2018
No Photos
Created 19 June 2018
11 Photos
Created 18 October 2017
7 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 July 2017
14 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2017
18 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
19 Photos
Created 16 February 2017
4 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
30 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 5 November 2016
52 Photos
Created 23 October 2016
24 Photos
Created 12 October 2016
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 September 2016
43 Photos
Created 2 September 2016
46 Photos
Created 4 August 2016
32 Photos
Created 21 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2016
15 Photos
Created 20 June 2016
17 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 3 June 2016
45 Photos
Created 11 May 2016
10 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 March 2016
12 Photos
Created 14 March 2016
2 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 19 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
6 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
No Photos
Created 27 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
19 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
4 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
13 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
9 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
No Photos
Created 28 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
35 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
8 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
49 Photos
Created 14 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
20 Photos
Created 26 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 20 December 2014
No Photos
Created 20 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2014
11 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
34 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2014
2 Photos
Created 14 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
32 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
Pics from our trip time aboard Scoots in July 2013.
23 Photos
Created 7 July 2013