Our Ever-Changing Backyard

14 April 2024 | Zakinthos to Sounion, Greece
13 November 2023 | Orikum, Albania
30 October 2023 | Durrës, Albania
29 October 2023 | Porto Montenegro to Athens, Greece
22 August 2023 | Montenegro
18 April 2023 | Monopoli, Italy - Zadar, Croatia
09 April 2023 | Korčula, Croatia
01 April 2023 | Otok Badija, near Korcula, Croatia
15 March 2023 | Mljet National Park, Croatia
11 December 2022 | Uvala Przina, Pelješac Peninsula, Croatia
20 November 2022 | Uvala Podškolj, Croatia
05 November 2022 | Lopud, Croatia

Los Muertos to San Gabriel

25 November 2014 | Current location: Bahia San Gabriel
Vandy Shrader
We did spend a few days in Bahia de los Muertos. 23? 59.3'N 109? 49.6'W. We liked it there. The water was teeming with fish of all kinds, the beach was white and beckoning, the bluffs promised hours of exploration, the sun shone every day, and there was a restaurant on the shore that offered food and excruciatingly slow WiFi for those times when we didn't feel like cooking or we wanted to tease ourselves with almost-Internet.

We went snorkeling one day with some of the other cruisers anchored in the bay. We took our dinghies over to the reef, dropped down little anchors, and spent the next hour or so floating around among the rocks and coral with all sorts of colorful and interesting fish: long, thin filefish; bicolored wrasses; moorish idols; spotted damselfish; polkadotted cowfish; and schools of hundreds of small silvery fish, all moving as one unit; and many more.

One evening, we went to dinner at the beachfront restaurant with two other cruising couples. That was really fun.

Another day, Eric and I went ashore and explored the land behind the sand dunes. Developers had done their best to turn Bahia de los Muertos (Bay of the Dead, named for the discarded train axles (?deadmen,?) sunk in the bay, to be used to anchor moorings for ships) and its surrounding land into a beach resort, which they called ?Bahia de los Sue?os (Bay of Dreams). There was still a resort at one end of the beach, which seemed to have a few visitors, but the golf course on the bluff was toast, all sagebrush, tumbleweeds, and cactus. It was quite surreal, and reminded us of the setting of the movie, Land of the Lost. When I can, I will send a photo we took of the first hole, so you can see what I mean.

One afternoon, a couple dinghied over to SCOOTS, to ask us if they'd known us in Honolulu. We told them we hadn't been there, but SCOOTS had lived there for awhile, with her former owner. It turned out that these people had lived in the marina in Honolulu at the same time that SCOOTS had been there. That's one of the reasons that we left SCOOTS' name when we bought her: lots of people are familiar with her, from all the traveling she's done over the years, and when they come by, we get to meet them and hear about SCOOTS' former travels.

Interspersed with the fun activities, we also took care of projects and odd jobs. Eric repacked the forward locker with the now-dried-out items. I shaved my legs while dangling them in the water off the back swimstep. Nothing says ?I'm a cruiser? quite like shaving your legs on the swim step. I cleaned the head and galley; Eric spent an entire frustrating day aboard SCOOTS, using the slow WiFi from the restaurant, trying to renew our Obamacare coverage. He finally gave up, figuring that we'll be able to avail ourselves of some real WiFi before the Dec. 15 deadline.

The weather forecasts were predicting another ?norther? for the Sea of Cortez, with winds of 15-30 knots at the southern end, where we are, and steep, high waves, so we made plans to head to another anchorage with shelter from the north, and get settled in before it blew through. The night before we left Bahia de los Muertos, a ?coromuel? blew through. A coromuel is a local weather event, triggered by land effects, with strong winds (20 or so knots), from the south or southwest. All night long, SCOOTS bobbed and bucked at anchor in the wind and chop.

We left for Playa Bonanza, on the island of Esp?ritu Santo, at sunrise, expecting a full day of travel to this lovely spot, 43 miles away. The winds were initially still strong, but they mellowed out after a couple of hours so that we ended up motoring most of the way. Along the way, we fired up our little clothes washing machine for the first time, and within an hour had undies, t-shirts, and shorts flapping on the lifelines to dry in the sun and breeze. Yes, SCOOTS is a great vehicle, but she is also our home. We arrived in Playa Bonanza 24? 27.2'N 110? 18.4'W in early afternoon and dropped our anchor in fifteen feet of clear turquoise water (are you detecting a trend here?). The winds were calm as we motored in, but as soon as we dropped the anchor, they picked up to 15 knots and stayed that way for the rest of the day. What's up with that? It wasn't in the forecast anywhere.

The next morning was calm and bright, and I put on my snorkeling gear and swam around SCOOTS, checking out the sand a few feet beneath her keel and the anchor chain. I was amused to see a committee of large puffer fish congregated around her anchor chain. Maybe the movement of the chain uncovers things they like to eat in the sand?

Later in the morning, a small ship entered the bay and dropped anchor about a quarter mile from us. You know you're in a great spot, if people pay lots of money to be taken there. It immediately began disgorging Zodiacs full of wetsuit-clad passengers, who headed for the beach for a morning of snorkeling at the reef. Eric and I decided to put off our own snorkeling plans until the crowd left.

A couple of hours later, the Zodiacs whisked the people back to the ship for lunch. Eric and I went ashore to explore the beach (there were lots of shells!) and the land behind the dunes (a cactus-and thornbush- populated dry mudflat). We saw a gnatcatcher, shrike, mockingbird, and a verdin, which is a new bird for me.

On the way back to the dinghy, we stopped to talk to a couple of the ship's staff, who were enjoying a break on the beach. Their boat, named the Safari Endeavour, was one of the ?n-Cruise?ships, a small fleet of adventure cruise ships that hold fewer than a hundred passengers and take them to beautiful and out-of-the- way places. They told us that the Un-Cruise ships travel in Alaska in the summer and Baja in the winter. Not a bad gig.

At 5 pm we hopped in our dinghy and went to have dinner with the folks aboard the only other cruising boat anchored in the bay with us. After dinner, we taught them to play the card game, Oh Hell, which was a lot of fun.

That night, swells came into the bay and rolled SCOOTS all night long. Not nearly as bad as the swells at Cabo, but uncomfortable enough to keep both Eric and me up most of the night. At dawn, Eric and I examined our options: stay or go. We made the decision to leave Playa Bonanza - which, while being technically sheltered from the north, was completely open to swells generated in the larger Sea of Cortez - and head around the bottom of the island to a bay on the west side, Bahia San Gabriel, which we hoped would be sheltered from the wind AND the swells.

The forecast indicated that the winds would increase for a couple more days before dying down again, and we didn't want to spend the next few days rolling with the growing swells. So...in rolling swells and winds that varied from 15-25 knots, we pulled the dinghy close, hoisted the outboard onto the stern railing, and then had to get the dinghy from the water to its spot on the foredeck. Not a nice prospect in all that wind, as the dinghy catches the wind and weighs about a hundred pounds.

We strategized ways to minimize the dinghy's exposure to the wind and maximize our control of it. Clearly, our usual procedure needed some modifications, in light of the current conditions. We came up with a couple of changes that should accomplish these goals: (1) For control, Eric rigged an additional rope to one of the dinghy straps and tied it to a cleat on the deck, so that if the dinghy caught the wind it wouldn't fly and flap like a kite. (2) For keeping a lower profile: instead of hoisting the dinghy all the way up vertically, we would hoist it vertically up over the lifelines, and then bring it over horizontally (flat) and lay it on the deck. We also switched roles, so that I cranked the halyard winch and Eric controlled the dinghy.

I'm happy to say that our modifications worked well and we soon had the dinghy loaded onto the deck and lashed down for travel.

Travel was somewhat rolly but not too wet, as we were mostly going downwind or crosswind. The waves were indeed larger outside the bay, but quite manageable. I steered and Eric navigated us through the channel around the end of the island, carefully avoiding the reefs lurking there.

We were so happy, when we rounded the point on the west side of the island, to see that Bahia San Gabriel 24? 25.7'N 110? 21.8'W was indeed free of breakers, even with 20 knots of wind blowing. We sidled up to the cliffs on the north side of the bay, as far in as we dared with the shoaling bottom, and dropped the anchor in 18 feet of water. Yes, it was clear and turquoise here, too.

So we have now spent about 24 hours here, in winds ranging from 15-30 knots, and without any swells! We are sharing the anchorage with six other boats, including one monster mega-sailboat called M5. We had seen it docked in San Diego and remarked then at the size and design of it.

A little while later, the dinghy from the M5 came buzzing over, driven by the boat's skipper. He came to see if SCOOTS' original owner was still aboard, as they'd been friends back in the late '90s. We told him no, but we still keep in touch with him. We talked about our boats ?the full name of M5 is the Mirabella 5 - and got his email so we could put him in touch with the original owner. Then he buzzed back over to his boat. It's so much fun to meet people who know SCOOTS from her previous travels!

So today we're planning to put the dinghy in the water as soon as the wind lulls a bit, and visit some of the other cruising boats, and maybe go ashore for awhile. The winds are forecast to blow for at least another day, so we'll probably stay put here until things calm down.
Comments
Vessel Name: Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 48
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Eric and Vandy Shrader
About: We've been living aboard full time since September 2014. We sailed our Able Apogee 50, SCOOTS, from 2012-2021, and are now aboard our Leopard 48, Awildian, since March 2022.
Social:
Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)'s Photos - Main
18 Photos
Created 14 April 2024
16 Photos
Created 27 January 2024
10 Photos
Created 15 December 2023
36 Photos
Created 27 November 2023
13 Photos
Created 13 November 2023
19 Photos
Created 29 October 2023
37 Photos
Created 21 August 2023
20 Photos
Created 8 August 2023
54 Photos
Created 1 August 2023
93 Photos
Created 27 July 2023
75 Photos
Created 4 May 2023
34 Photos
Created 1 April 2023
19 Photos
Created 15 March 2023
20 Photos
Created 11 December 2022
9 Photos
Created 20 November 2022
24 Photos
Created 4 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 9 October 2022
12 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
5 Photos
Created 30 August 2022
23 Photos
Created 21 August 2022
8 Photos
Created 8 August 2022
1 Photo
Created 3 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 1 August 2022
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2022
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2022
38 Photos
Created 3 July 2022
15 Photos
Created 11 June 2022
1 Photo
Created 19 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 26 March 2021
27 Photos
Created 6 August 2020
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2020
8 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
3 Photos
Created 13 October 2019
43 Photos
Created 28 September 2019
27 Photos
Created 27 July 2019
1 Photo
Created 15 July 2019
11 Photos
Created 3 July 2019
3 Photos
Created 6 May 2019
13 Photos
Created 4 March 2019
2 Photos
Created 26 November 2018
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2018
11 Photos
Created 27 October 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2018
6 Photos
Created 21 September 2018
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2018
7 Photos
Created 19 June 2018
No Photos
Created 19 June 2018
11 Photos
Created 18 October 2017
7 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 July 2017
14 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2017
18 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
19 Photos
Created 16 February 2017
4 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
30 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 5 November 2016
52 Photos
Created 23 October 2016
24 Photos
Created 12 October 2016
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 September 2016
43 Photos
Created 2 September 2016
46 Photos
Created 4 August 2016
32 Photos
Created 21 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2016
15 Photos
Created 20 June 2016
17 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 3 June 2016
45 Photos
Created 11 May 2016
10 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 March 2016
12 Photos
Created 14 March 2016
2 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 19 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
6 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
No Photos
Created 27 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
19 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
4 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
13 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
9 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
No Photos
Created 28 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
35 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
8 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
49 Photos
Created 14 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
20 Photos
Created 26 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 20 December 2014
No Photos
Created 20 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2014
11 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
34 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2014
2 Photos
Created 14 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
32 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
Pics from our trip time aboard Scoots in July 2013.
23 Photos
Created 7 July 2013