Our Ever-Changing Backyard

14 April 2024 | Zakinthos to Sounion, Greece
13 November 2023 | Orikum, Albania
30 October 2023 | Durrës, Albania
29 October 2023 | Porto Montenegro to Athens, Greece
22 August 2023 | Montenegro
18 April 2023 | Monopoli, Italy - Zadar, Croatia
09 April 2023 | Korčula, Croatia
01 April 2023 | Otok Badija, near Korcula, Croatia
15 March 2023 | Mljet National Park, Croatia
11 December 2022 | Uvala Przina, Pelješac Peninsula, Croatia
20 November 2022 | Uvala Podškolj, Croatia
05 November 2022 | Lopud, Croatia

The Mayor's Raft-up, Marlins, and Ships Passing in the Night

10 March 2015 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Vandy
The cover photo shows Eric and me at Pedro's Beachfront Restaurant in La Manzanilla, the town across the bay from Tenacatita, where we went with our friends, Melodie and Pat from Starshine, to do some grocery shopping and have some lunch. Pedro claims that he makes the "universe's best fish tacos." Ours were quite good, but as I haven't sampled the fish tacos on Venus yet, I can't substantiate his claim.


Eric piloting our dinghy in the estuary jungle cruise in Tenacatita.

We ended our stay in Bahia Tenacatita with the weekly Mayor's Dinghy Raft-up on Friday evening. This week's raftup was almost canceled due to the high winds (up to 30 knots) that blew in during the predawn hours and turbulated the anchorage for most of the day. Afternoon beach bocce ball and Mexican Train dominoes were canceled, but the wind and waves abated by late afternoon, so the Raft-up was held after all!

The Dinghy Raft-up is a great way to get to know other cruisers in the anchorage. The current Mayor, Chris from the sailboat Legacy, took his dinghy over to a small cove and dropped an anchor. Other cruisers brought their dinghies and tied up to create a circle, around which appetizers and conversation were passed. As Friday was my birthday, Eric had baked a birthday cake, using items we had on board. He concocted a vanilla cake with chocolate chips and crushed cashews on top which was quite yummy.

Each week, after the appetizers have made a round of the dinghies, the Mayor poses a question for discussion. This week, Chris asked: "What scares you about the cruising life?" The answers offered by the attending cruisers - who ranged from relative newbies like ourselves to well-traveled voyagers of multiple decades - were fascinating.

The next morning, we headed south out of Bahia Tenacatita, toward Zihuatanejo, about two hundred miles away. The forecast was for light winds and gentle seas for the entire two-day passage, which, in fact, came to pass and gave us a very comfortable ride. We were able to sail for much of the time, but during our second night, when we were making about 3 knots through the water, and only 2 knots forward due to an opposing current, we turned on our trusty diesel engine to make some forward progress.

The second night brought us our only two notable moments of the trip.

First, Eric caught a marlin. Go ahead and be impressed for a few minutes....Okay, here's the full story: As Eric was sitting on the back of the cockpit, in the dark, minding his own business, he was suddenly hit by something in the middle of his chest. Thwack! Whatever it was had fallen to the cockpit floor and was thrashing around. Eric grabbed a flashlight and discovered that the visitor was a fifteen-inch-long baby marlin, who was probably just as surprised by the turn of events as Eric was. Eric was able to pick up the flailing fish and toss it overboard.

Second, I had a predawn conversation with a ship that was maintaining a collision course with us. Now before you get all worried, I will tell you that we have systems on board SCOOTS, including radar and AIS, that allow us to identify and track ships from a long way off, so we were in no immediate danger. Using AIS, we had been tracking lots of ships for most of the night in an area of ocean near Lazaro Cardenas, which maintains a large shipping center. AIS gives us lots of information about the ships, including their name, speed and course, and the distance and time of the closest point of approach to us. We also transmit our information over AIS, so other boats can know the same about us.

Usually, boats will pass us with plenty of room to spare, and if not, one or both of us will adjust our course to make sure that does happen. Our ships pass in the night and all is well.

This time, at about 4:30 am, I noticed two ships approaching SCOOTS at an oblique angle from up ahead, one ship following relatively closely behind the other. On my AIS display, I could see that in about 45 minutes the front ship was going to pass too close for my comfort, so I adjusted our course; a few minutes later, the front ship did the same, to increase the passing distance even more. Good.

The second ship, however, maintained his course. And maintained it. And continued to maintain it, keeping its projected closest point of approach to within meters of SCOOTS. That was way too close! Because our AIS displays the names of the ships, I was able to call the second ship by name on the radio on Channel 16 - the international hailing frequency, which we always keep on while underway - which I did.

When I gave the ship's crew member our position, he said that he was unable to see us on his radar. What?! That would certainly explain why the second ship was maintaining a course that would bring us so close.

Then the first ship cut in to say that he could see us where I said we were, and perhaps the second ship couldn't see us because we were in the radar shadow caused the the first ship. The second ship told me he would alter course to pass us on our port side, which he in fact did.

A few minutes later, I watched as one giant shadowy ship passed us to starboard, and another giant shadowy ship passed us to port, both at a safe distance.


A SCOOTS sandwich. The red boat is SCOOTS; the green triangles are the two ships. The icons are NOT to scale.

The rest of our trip to Zihuatanejo was uneventful. When the sun came up, we turned off the engine put up the sails, and drifted along, enjoying the warm sunshine, the placid blue ocean, and the many sea turtles who popped their heads up nearby to check us out. What's the rush?


SCOOTS sailing into the sunrise.



Comments
Vessel Name: Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 48
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Eric and Vandy Shrader
About: We've been living aboard full time since September 2014. We sailed our Able Apogee 50, SCOOTS, from 2012-2021, and are now aboard our Leopard 48, Awildian, since March 2022.
Social:
Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)'s Photos - Main
18 Photos
Created 14 April 2024
16 Photos
Created 27 January 2024
10 Photos
Created 15 December 2023
36 Photos
Created 27 November 2023
13 Photos
Created 13 November 2023
19 Photos
Created 29 October 2023
37 Photos
Created 21 August 2023
20 Photos
Created 8 August 2023
54 Photos
Created 1 August 2023
93 Photos
Created 27 July 2023
75 Photos
Created 4 May 2023
34 Photos
Created 1 April 2023
19 Photos
Created 15 March 2023
20 Photos
Created 11 December 2022
9 Photos
Created 20 November 2022
24 Photos
Created 4 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 9 October 2022
12 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
5 Photos
Created 30 August 2022
23 Photos
Created 21 August 2022
8 Photos
Created 8 August 2022
1 Photo
Created 3 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 1 August 2022
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2022
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2022
38 Photos
Created 3 July 2022
15 Photos
Created 11 June 2022
1 Photo
Created 19 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 26 March 2021
27 Photos
Created 6 August 2020
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2020
8 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
3 Photos
Created 13 October 2019
43 Photos
Created 28 September 2019
27 Photos
Created 27 July 2019
1 Photo
Created 15 July 2019
11 Photos
Created 3 July 2019
3 Photos
Created 6 May 2019
13 Photos
Created 4 March 2019
2 Photos
Created 26 November 2018
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2018
11 Photos
Created 27 October 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2018
6 Photos
Created 21 September 2018
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2018
7 Photos
Created 19 June 2018
No Photos
Created 19 June 2018
11 Photos
Created 18 October 2017
7 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 July 2017
14 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2017
18 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
19 Photos
Created 16 February 2017
4 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
30 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 5 November 2016
52 Photos
Created 23 October 2016
24 Photos
Created 12 October 2016
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 September 2016
43 Photos
Created 2 September 2016
46 Photos
Created 4 August 2016
32 Photos
Created 21 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2016
15 Photos
Created 20 June 2016
17 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 3 June 2016
45 Photos
Created 11 May 2016
10 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 March 2016
12 Photos
Created 14 March 2016
2 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 19 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
6 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
No Photos
Created 27 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
19 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
4 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
13 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
9 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
No Photos
Created 28 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
35 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
8 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
49 Photos
Created 14 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
20 Photos
Created 26 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 20 December 2014
No Photos
Created 20 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2014
11 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
34 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2014
2 Photos
Created 14 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
32 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
Pics from our trip time aboard Scoots in July 2013.
23 Photos
Created 7 July 2013