Our Ever-Changing Backyard--Sailing with Scoots

27 April 2020 | Town Basin Marina, Whangarei, NZ
22 March 2020 | Town Basin Marina, Whangarei, NZ
16 December 2019 | Opua, New Zealand
25 November 2019 | On passage from Fiji to New Zealand
21 November 2019 | On passage from Fiji to New Zealand
19 November 2019 | On passage from Fiji to New Zealand
14 October 2019 | Savusavu, Fiji
27 July 2019 | Tavoro Waterfalls, Taveuni Island, Fiji
15 July 2019 | Viani Bay
23 June 2019 | En route to Savusavu, Fiji, from N. Minerva Reef
20 June 2019 | North Minerva Reef
17 June 2019 | In the ocean, NE of New Zealand
14 June 2019 | In the ocean, NE of New Zealand
13 June 2019 | In the ocean, NE of New Zealand

A Tale of Two Hikes

22 May 2016 | Haahopu Bay, Nuku Hiva
It was the best of hikes, it was the worst of hikes.

(Not really, but after giving the blog entry this title, I'd be remiss if I didn't begin it this way...)

One day while we were anchored in Anaho Bay, we dinghied to shore with some friends to make the hike over the mountain to the next

bay, where the little town of Hatiheu was nestled at the edge of the beach. The hike was reported to take about two hours each way -

one hour up the mountain, and another down the other side. Seven of us assembled on the beach - and then quickly took shelter beneath

a convenient, leafy tree, as a drenching rain shower came through. Five minutes later, when the sky was sunny and blue again, we

started along the beachside path, past lush, well-tended coconut groves, and breadfruit trees.

As Eric and I had different impressions of the hike, I thought it would be fun to share both of them with you.

The hike according to Vandy.

The first thing I noticed about the path were the ants. About an eighth of an inch long and red, millions of them scuttled and

scrambled over every patch of ground. Black irrigation hoses and fallen twigs made busy highways, elevated above the wet grass and

muddy puddles, but most of the ants also traversed the same path that we trod, often catching a ride on a sandal or toe until being

removed. Fortunately for us, the ants didn't tend to bite, though they were a nuisance to us in our open-toed hiking sandals.

The second thing I noticed, as we moved away from the beach, was the mud. Thick, gooey, red mud - the kind of mud that squishes

between your toes and makes a home there, that sucks on your shoes and insists that you stay right where you are, that makes you

measureably taller the farther you walk in it - replaced the nice white sand and grass that we'd been enjoying. Blended liberally

with manure from the horses that local people (who are apparently smarter than we were) rode over the mountain, it made for quite a


The jungle to either side of us was vivid green and full of life. Birds sang and cooed and chirped from hidden perches all around us.

Flowers bloomed among the branches. Slender mimosa vines (aka "sensitive plants") protruded from the underbrush onto the path, and

folded up their feathery leaves at the slightest touch. But beware, though mimosa leaves are soft, their stems are covered with

thorns that slice passing toes and ankles, making cuts that are immediately filled with that lovely blended mud.

The third thing I noticed was that things got even more interesting as the path became steeper. Now we were walking in thick,

ant-covered, manure-laden mud - on an incline. Eric and some of the others were making good progress through all this, and had moved

quite a bit further ahead of me. Perhaps they were endowed with attributes that were more conducive to this sort of travel than I was

(longer legs? wider feet?), as my progress had become a plodding succession of "step up, sliiiiide back, drag my shoe out of the mud,

step up, sliiiiiide back, drag my shoe"...I was cheered when the hikers up ahead hollered back that they'd encountered a concrete

road. When I got there, I think it was actually a cement drainage ditch running down the side of the mountain, but nonetheless it did

provide an opportunity to walk like a human for a tenth of a mile. And scrape off some of the two inches of mud that had become glued

to the soles of my sandals.

Faced with more of the steep, muddy path, my friend, Sylvia, who was in the back of the pack with me, stepped off the path and -

after some cracking noises ensued - returned with two walking sticks. Handing one to me, we resumed our step, sliiiiiide, drag

progression, now made much more workable with the extra balance provided by our sticks.

When we reached the top of the mountain - where the rest of the group was waiting for us - we all enjoyed the expansive view of the

lovely bay where our boats were anchored. Standing there, I made a quick mental calculation: the trip up the mountain was one-fourth

of the total hike. The trip to town and back would still require a hike down through the mud, a hike back up through the mud, and

another hike down through the mud. I was fine with the idea of doing one trip up and one down. But two of each? Not really. I'd much

prefer to head back down the path, taking my time, and spend the rest of the afternoon at the beach.

When I shared my decision with the others, Sylvia said that this plan also sounded good to her. So while Eric and the rest of the

group went down the mountain toward the town of Hatiheu, Syvia and I headed back down the way we'd come. We took our time, listening

and looking for birds, and having a nice chat as we slid our way down the trail. Soon after we started down, we realized that the

starter keys for all the dinghies were on their way down the other side of the mountain with other hikers. Oh well, we figured that

if we got tired of hanging out at the beach, we could always row a dinghy to our boats.

As we were walking, we heard a sound like a coughing cow (Wikipedia describes the sound as "krawk, krawk") coming from a tree.

Peering up, we saw a large black bird with a funky growth on the top of its beak. A Nuku Hiva pigeon, or "upe"! This is a huge rare

pigeon, found only in certain jungle habitats on the island of Nuku Hiva. Cool! We also saw some greenish-gray birds, that I first

thought were parrots but were actually fruit doves.

Back down at the beach, we walked into the warm ocean and sat for a long time in the shallows, washing the sweat off our bodies and

the mud off our shoes and legs. And of course having a great conversation. Over the next four or so hours, as we waited for the rest

of the hikers to return, we also walked along the beach, explored the shallows (where we saw two small black-tipped reef sharks, some

sting rays, and a baby spotted eagle ray, which Sylvia thought was especially cool), and snoozed in the dinghies. But most of our

time was spent luxuriating in the clear, warm water. We were both glad to have come back down the mountain.

The hike according to Eric.

After a steep, slutchy hike we reached the summit and waited for Vandy and Sylvia to catch up to us. We drank water and enjoyed the

beautiful scenery for awhile. I was surprised when Van said that she didn't want to continue, since she is usually the one of us who

enjoys hiking more. The prospect of exploring some archaeological ruins spurred me on, and I continued down the other side with the

other four remaining hikers.

The trail down to the town of Hatiheu was just as slutchy as the trail up to the summit had been. We stopped and examined a backhoe

that had been abandoned on the trail, apparently after an attempt at improving the trail. From time to time, we hid under some

big-leafed trees during rain showers. We cleaned our feet in a stream, which was a complete waste of time, as they became instantly

muddy again. But the water felt good on our feet. Just as the jungle began to thin and fields appeared along the trail, we saw some

very skinny horses staked there. Then a Marquesan girl showed us the local way to navigate this trail...on horseback.

The jungle and fields thinned some more, the steep, muddy path turned into a steep, algae-covered concrete road. Across the valley we

could see the famous statue of the Virgin Mary perched high on a pinnacle overlooking the bay, keeping an eye on the area's humans

and goats. We marveled about how they had gotten it there in the 1800s without helicopters. Eventually, we emerged into the suburbs

of the town of Hatiheu. There were houses with driveways, cars in the driveways, mowed lawns, friendly Marquesans waving to us from

their porches as we walked by. The road wound around behind a school and we emerged onto a road parallel to the beach. We rested for

a few minutes under a pavilion covering a big tree stump whose significance was lost on us.

We washed our feet off in the spigot there, as some local children played marbles - for keeps - on the sidewalk. Up the street, under

another pavilion,some locals were grilling chickens over a fifty-five-gallon drum. We asked one of the cooks if he was selling the

food and he said, "No, not yet," and pointed in the direction of a restaurant and magasin (market).

We explored the magasin, which had industrial-strength coconut grating machines for the local copra industry and suntan lotion for

the tourists. Then we went to the restaurant. It was about 10:30 am, and the restaurant had a chalkboard of their lunch offerings. We

really wanted breakfast, so I asked the waitress, in French, if they still had breakfast ("petite dejeuner.") She said (also in

French), "Yes, how many do you want?" Not what do you want, but how many. So we said, "Cinq," which means "five." We didn't know

what we were going to get, but we were each going to get one.

We sat down at a table. The waitress returned with coffee, a half pound of butter, a bowl of real maple syrup, another bowl of guava

jelly, and a big platter of pancakes. During breakfast, I noticed that Tom (Sylvia's partner) was wearing their dinghy key on his

wrist. Then I asked if there were any dinghy keys left with the dinghies. The answer was no. We all agreed that if Vandy and Sylvia

wanted to get back to the boats, they would figure out a way. When we got down to the last pancake, I said, "I wonder if I eat the

last pancake, if she'll bring us another platter of them." The answer was yes. They were delicious. We ate until we were stuffed.

Uncharacteristically for restaurants in this part of the world, our waitress brought us our check (usually you have to ask for it).

Apparently, this was because they were waiting to close. As we were leaving the restaurant, Merv, of s/v Meridian Passage, noticed

that the "thatch" of the thatched roof was actually a "plastic thatch product," and not the real thing. It was probably cyclone

proof, but not authentic. We made some jokes about it and moved on.

We walked to the end of town, past a beautiful church, and realized that we didn't know how to find the archaeological sites. So we

walked back to the restaurant, which had reopened, and took a look at the town map on the wall. The waitress came over and told us

that the site was past the post office, about a kilometer up the road.

We left the restaurant and started walking up the road, back past the beautiful church, past the suburban houses, past the end of the

concrete where it turned into a dirt road that re-entered the jungle. After we'd been walking quite awhile, someone said, "I don't

think she knows what a kilometer is." But just around the next corner, we saw a large stone platform in a field, which was the

beginning of the archaeological site.

We walked around the platform, which I've since learned was an altar used for sacrifices. Further up the road, we found the major

archaeological site, where we saw ceremonial lodges, petroglyphs, and big stadium-like structures whose purpose - like all the other

information at the site - was explained by signs written in French with vocabulary beyond our means. Sadly, we noticed that these

structures had been re-thatched in modern times, with the same "plastic thatch product" sported by the restaurant.

On our way back toward town, we discovered another archaeological site, a large field surrounded by a stone wall, and guarded by an

assortment of tikis and tame, tethered horses. In the field we saw stone platforms and foundations, and some stones with interesting

holes in them, like the ones Native Americans used for grinding acorns.

After that, we started walking back through town, with the unspoken dread of having to climb over the mountain again. Fortunately, it

hadn't rained in awhile, and the trail was much drier and less slutchy on the way back, though it was just as steep. We had some

great conversations on the way back to Anaho Bay.

After reaching sea level, we washed the mud off our shoes and ourselves using the spigots we found along the beachside trail. We were

surprised to see Vandy and Sylvia still hanging out on the beach. They greeted us, and asked about our adventures and told us about

theirs. Everyone felt they had chosen wisely.
Vessel Name: SCOOTS
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Eric and Vandy Shrader
About: We've been living aboard full time since September 2014. We sailed to Mexico with the 2014 Baja Haha and had fun exploring Mexico until April 2016, when we turned SCOOTS west and headed to the South Pacific. Since 2016, we've been spending our winters in Fiji and our summers in New Zealand.
SCOOTS's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2020
8 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
3 Photos
Created 13 October 2019
43 Photos
Created 28 September 2019
27 Photos
Created 27 July 2019
1 Photo
Created 15 July 2019
11 Photos
Created 3 July 2019
3 Photos
Created 6 May 2019
13 Photos
Created 4 March 2019
2 Photos
Created 26 November 2018
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2018
11 Photos
Created 27 October 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2018
6 Photos
Created 21 September 2018
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2018
7 Photos
Created 19 June 2018
No Photos
Created 19 June 2018
11 Photos
Created 18 October 2017
7 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 July 2017
14 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2017
18 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
19 Photos
Created 16 February 2017
4 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
30 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 5 November 2016
52 Photos
Created 23 October 2016
24 Photos
Created 12 October 2016
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 September 2016
43 Photos
Created 2 September 2016
46 Photos
Created 4 August 2016
32 Photos
Created 21 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2016
15 Photos
Created 20 June 2016
17 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 3 June 2016
45 Photos
Created 11 May 2016
10 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 March 2016
12 Photos
Created 14 March 2016
2 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 19 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
6 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
No Photos
Created 27 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
19 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
4 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
13 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
9 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
No Photos
Created 28 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
35 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
8 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
49 Photos
Created 14 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
20 Photos
Created 26 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 20 December 2014
No Photos
Created 20 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2014
11 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
34 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2014
2 Photos
Created 14 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
32 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
Pics from our trip time aboard Scoots in July 2013.
23 Photos
Created 7 July 2013