Our Ever-Changing Backyard--Sailing with Scoots

15 July 2019 | Viani Bay
23 June 2019 | En route to Savusavu, Fiji, from N. Minerva Reef
20 June 2019 | North Minerva Reef
17 June 2019 | In the ocean, NE of New Zealand
14 June 2019 | In the ocean, NE of New Zealand
13 June 2019 | In the ocean, NE of New Zealand
12 June 2019 | Marsden Cove Marina, Ruakaka, NZ
06 May 2019 | Paradise Taveuni Resort
04 March 2019 | Koro Island
05 December 2018 | On passage from Fiji to NZ
01 December 2018 | On passage from Fiji to NZ
30 November 2018 | On passage from Fiji to NZ
29 November 2018 | On passage from Fiji to NZ
28 November 2018 | On passage from Fiji to NZ
26 November 2018 | Port Denarau Marina, near Nadi, Fiji
18 November 2018 | Makogai Island, Fiji
27 October 2018 | Rukuruku, Fiji

A squalliday, seabird flybys, a chat with the Prudent Mariner, and a diversion

29 June 2018 | On passage from NZ to Fiji
Vandy
We've had lots and lots of wind and big waves since we turned Y the M off after our second day at sea. Of course, that's what we were expecting, and it does make for a fast trip. (Remember: one can have a fast passage OR a comfortable passage, so there you are.) By going fast, we've managed to slip around some nasty weather and still make good progress down the line. SCOOTS has done everything we've asked of her, particularly in living up to her name, and keeping us as comfortable as is possible in the sea conditions. Also a shout out to Bender, our autopilot, who has done a yeoman's job of steering SCOOTS through all the waves, so we didn't have to.

Most of our days have been sunny, and our nights starry. But the other day, we found ourselves in a veritable minefield of squalls, popping up suddenly here and there, like a game of whack-a-mole, the likes of which we hadn't seen since our travels through the ITCZ during our trip from Mexico to the Marquesas. The squalls got bored with us by dinnertime and went to see what other yachties they could pester; after that it was sun and stars again.

One sunny day a few days ago, a big black-and-white albatross (I'm leaning toward a Laysan albatross) circled around and flew right behind our boat, maybe ten feet off the transom. After our experience with booby poop on our solar panels, we weren't thrilled at the prospect of a huge albatross doing the same. But it didn't actually want to land on SCOOTS. After a couple more flybys, it landed in the water behind us, and let us travel on.

Yesterday, I kept hearing a scratchy, screechy sound that I attributed to some boat part complaining (sailing is a noisy proposition, especially in wind and seas; everything that can make noise, does). When I kept hearing it, I decided to investigate Looking up from under the bimini I saw a pair of white-tailed tropicbirds circling over SCOOTS, screeching. I was so happy to see them; tropicbirds are my favorite tropical seabird, and when I see them, I know I'm someplace warm and tropical. The last time I'd seen a tropicbird was last year, on our trip to Fiji, so it had been awhile.

Though we'd been happy with all the wind we've been having, there can be too much of a good thing. We'd been keeping an eye on the weather in Fiji, and as the week progressed, the amount of wind in the forecast for the time that we would be arriving in the islands went from 20 to 30 to 35 knots, gusting to 40 knots, with rough to very rough seas. Which is a lot of weather, more weather than we want to be in. As we were still two days from our intended destination of Savusavu, on the northern large island, this meant that we'd have to sail in this weather for two days, and then navigate the anchorage in Savusavu in those same conditions. Hmm.

So yesterday morning, Eric and I had a chat, in which we discussed our options, not all of which carried equal weight. The options were (1) continue on to Savusavu and hope that the conditions wouldn't be as bad as predicted; (2) continue on and just deal with the conditions; (3) divert to a hideyhole somewhere until the winds and seas died down, and hope that a Customs boat wouldn't happen upon us since we won't have cleared into the country (BIG and expensive No-no) , (4) divert to Suva, on the southern island, which is a Customs port, and is about a day closer than Savusavu, but where we'd been already and didn't really have any desire to return to.

(There's another component of all this that I haven't shared with you, which adds another element to the equation: Yanmar the Magnificent has a problem: his salt water cooling system isn't working at the moment, which means that if we run our engine, it will soon burn up. Not a good thing. With all this wind, it hasn't been an issue. We've done all the diagnosing we can do out here in these conditions, and have narrowed it down to some parts that can't easily be accessed, which will have to wait until were at anchor. We can anchor under sail in a big open place, but we can't navigate any tight spots or places with wind shadows.

At this point, we invited the Prudent Mariner (PM) to join us. The PM is focused only on safety; he doesn't care about whether you actually want to go to Savusavu or Suva or a hideyhole or not, or whether you'd have to pay a penalty to Customs if you got caught someplace you shouldn't be, or whether you think your crystal ball is more accurate than the meteorologists' models. He impartially weighs all the options and tells you what he considers to be the most prudent plan.

Here is what the Prudent Mariner recommended: forget Savusavu for the moment; you can always go there later. Head for Suva. Quickly.

So that's what we did. We turned north, and SCOOTS sailed FAST overnight, getting us within kava spitting distance of Suva by the next morning. As I'm writing this, the wind is only up to 25 knots so far, and the waves are two or three meters high, which isn't much different from what we've experienced for the past week. In a couple of hours, SCOOTS will enter Suva Harbour under sail, and we'll anchor her there before the big blow starts. By the time you read this, in fact, we will most likely be anchored...and taking apart the engine to fix it.

PS. Radio propagation wasn't good at the time I wanted to send this, so I'm doing it much later. We did sail SCOOTS in through the pass at Suva Harbour, and had enough wind from just the right direction to sail (without tacking)to the spot where we'd planned (hoped, really) to drop our anchor, Eric doing a great job of getting us there. It was quite exciting at times, but I'm too worn out to tell you the whole story right now. Maybe later.

Anyway, everything went fine. SCOOTS is anchored in Suva Harbour, her crew is relieved and tired, and after a good night's rest in a stationary bed are going to tackle Yanmar the Magnificent's fluid problem tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: SCOOTS
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Eric and Vandy Shrader
About: We've been living aboard full time since September 2014. We sailed to Mexico with the 2014 Baja Haha and had fun exploring Mexico until April 2016, when we turned SCOOTS west and headed to the South Pacific. As of late Nov. 2016, SCOOTS and her crew are exploring New Zealand.
Social:
SCOOTS's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 15 July 2019
11 Photos
Created 3 July 2019
3 Photos
Created 6 May 2019
13 Photos
Created 4 March 2019
2 Photos
Created 26 November 2018
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2018
11 Photos
Created 27 October 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2018
6 Photos
Created 21 September 2018
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2018
7 Photos
Created 19 June 2018
No Photos
Created 19 June 2018
11 Photos
Created 18 October 2017
7 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 July 2017
14 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2017
18 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
19 Photos
Created 16 February 2017
4 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
30 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 5 November 2016
52 Photos
Created 23 October 2016
24 Photos
Created 12 October 2016
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 September 2016
43 Photos
Created 2 September 2016
46 Photos
Created 4 August 2016
32 Photos
Created 21 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2016
15 Photos
Created 20 June 2016
17 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 3 June 2016
45 Photos
Created 11 May 2016
10 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 March 2016
12 Photos
Created 14 March 2016
2 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 19 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
6 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
No Photos
Created 27 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
19 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
4 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
13 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
9 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
No Photos
Created 28 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
35 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
8 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
49 Photos
Created 14 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
20 Photos
Created 26 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 20 December 2014
No Photos
Created 20 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2014
11 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
34 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2014
2 Photos
Created 14 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
32 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
Pics from our trip time aboard Scoots in July 2013.
23 Photos
Created 7 July 2013