S/V Si Bon

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
21 May 2013 | San Diego
05 May 2013 | San Diego
19 April 2013 | Sun Harbor Marina, San Diego, Ca. USA
17 April 2013 | Ensenada to San Diego
08 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
06 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
03 April 2013 | Marina Coral, Ensenada, Baja California
29 March 2013 | Ensenada
25 March 2013 | Bahia Tortuga, Baja California
21 March 2013 | Punta Abreojos
12 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
06 March 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
28 February 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta mexico
26 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
04 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
23 December 2012 | Barra de Navidad
19 December 2012 | success and failure
17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo

never a dull moment

05 November 2010 | San Diego Bay
Steve/warm air, cold water
You would think that going 5 NM (nautical miles) from slip to mooring ball couldn't have to much excitement...HA, think again. As I motored across the bay towards North Island Naval Base (not really an island), I noticed a large aircraft carrier outbound coming up the bay...already knowing that the navy wants you to keep your distance, I cut a sharper angle and reduced my speed so as to give the carrier plenty of room. I turned around to see if anything was behind me and sure enough there was another large warship and some sort of landing craft inbound, the bay was also full of Naval Security boats buzzing around, lights flashing, sirens wailing, all I could think of was "I need to get a picture of this for my blog"...everything worked out and I was able to stay clear of the warships with no problem. I have noticed the security guys seem to pay MUCH more attention to Si Bon when my 20 something year old daughters and their friends are aboard...go figure.
BUT WAIT...there's more. So I get to the ball, remember I'm by myself, I slowly come up to the pick up pole, I run up the deck grab the pole and quickly discover the my mooring line is wrapped around the anchor chain of the mooring bouy (Fritz warned me about this), this means that my 15 foot mooring line is now effectively about two feet...which is not enough to be able to tie off the boat. After nearly being yanked off the boat, I said to myself *&%#, then I started tugging and pulling the mooring line and was finally able to get enough line to get it onto my bow cleat...but the line still had plenty of wraps around the chain that I knew I had to deal with soon. I quickly dropped my dinghy off the deck and went up to take a look....I could tell that the only way I was going to be able to untangle the mess was to dive it...so on went fins, mask, snorkel and into the 63 degree water I went...note to self, next time wear your wetsuit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Si Bon
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Steve Cook
About:
This is the plan.....In late 2009 after going on a wonderful charter to Turkey and Greece and seeing and living the cruiser lifestyle I decided to move into the next phase of my life. [...]
Extra: I am currently in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area), where I will be spending the 2012 hurricane season at the beautiful Paradise Village Marina.

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California