Misadventures of a Would-be Sailor

The agony of not knowing what you're getting into or alternatively "How not to buy a sailboat and subsequently do every wrong thing you can ..."

Vessel Name: Silent Toad
Vessel Make/Model: 1973 Irwin 45 CC
Hailing Port: Blaine, WA
13 June 2011 | Brookings
31 May 2011
15 May 2011 | Eureka, CA
25 April 2011 | Fort Bragg, CA
18 November 2010 | Fort Bragg, CA
28 June 2010 | Fort Bragg, CA
Recent Blog Posts
13 June 2011 | Brookings

Still Waiting

Well, what to do .... the weather isn't co-operating so all plans are shelved and looking towards next week for the final trip up

31 May 2011

Another leg

Headed for another try at our final destination. Brought along a 3rd. to help with the watches and armed with Bonine, dramine, wrist bands an whatever else I could think of to quell the unexpected reactions. Set off about 6pm on the 27th from Eureka and had good seas for the first bit. Cappy opted not to put up any sail and make it a motor journey. Seas getting rougher and felt the pangs come 3 PM. Totally useless for the rest of the trip. Raycor Filters started clogging up at about 6 AM the next morning and finally had to change 4 of them to prevent stalling. Last one gave up the ghost at about 4 PM (along with the starter) and that was it. Had to get towed into Brookings, OR ... made it by 12:30 and there she stays till we can get the fuel cleaned, removed or replaced...

15 May 2011 | Eureka, CA

Fix'er Up

Back again with one of the individuals who sold me the engine. After taking the tranny right off, discovered the internal linkage bushings had come undone (who knew). Repaired and did a test run so all seems well. Decided he'd fix the leaky seal on the fuel gauge as she was leaking on top, put it back together and the gauge stopped working (it just keeps getting better and better) Back to home and wait for a weather window for the next jaunt

25 April 2011 | Fort Bragg, CA

Time to get going

The day finally comes and we're off on the adventure to bring her up to Washington. Spent the 20th and 21st in Fort Bragg trying to fix up the "repaired" issues that had cropped up from last time. Left early on the the 22nd. owing to problems with the starter (which amazingly Cap'n Steve was able to resurrect) Cappy decides that we should motor and forget about sails. All things were going smoothly though the seas were rougher and the swells taking their toll owing to the loss of the drop keel. Got totally sick at about 2:30 and was absolutely useless to Cappy who managed to persevere through it all and finally was able to rise from the dead at about 9 pm. Decided to make it to port for the night and start fresh in the AM. Docked at a transient dock in Eureka after Cappy was able to bring us in without GPS or nav aids (sure glad he's along). Woke fresh in the AM and started heading out about 7 AM on the 23rd. Mad a last minute turnaround to fill up the fuel tanks and then disaster. Transmission stopped working about 200 yards from the fuel dock and we're able to tie up owing to some momentum and some fancy lassoing on Steve's part. Spent the morning trying to get the tranny back in operation to no avail and, unfortunately, Sunday doesn't allow for much in the way of mechanics. Towed to Whidbey island Marina and tied up at the visitor dock. Struggled with the tranny for another day and finally gave up and decided to come back another day.

18 November 2010 | Fort Bragg, CA

How's It Goin', eh ..

Arrived back to Ft. Bragg with my local 'hillbilly' mechanic to clean up the exhaust manifold & repair the hole in the mast. Most of the first day was spent re & re the exhaust manifold and then we start her up and she purrs (well, growls) to life. Tim decides to take her on a small motoring excursion and, for the first time, I get to actually steer her (was told later that I had the biggest shite eating grin on my face). The next morning, fiberglass, glass beads and tape in hand we tackle the hole in the mast. First cut out a section of the floor around the base of the step keel mast (painful) and then carefully start cleaning around the base to remove the years of accumulated crud .. a chore that I never want to repeat! When all is said and done, Tim comes over to inspect and start the filling process. Upon examining the mast, he scowls and lets out the only expletives I've ever heard him utter "Where's the f#@%%$ing hole?" Surprise! The "hole" was probably a shadow on the accumulated crud and the finger going into the hole was probably just poking through accumulated sludge. To add insult to injury, I stark poking at a dirty spot in the mast and poke through a plugged drain hole ... WOW .. 50 feet of trapped water in the mast comes shooting out of a 1/2" hole ... Clean up the mess, mutter curses about the reality of always checking for myself and that's it. We lock her up and head back home again!

28 June 2010 | Fort Bragg, CA

And away we go (almost)

Down to Fort Bragg to check on the Kimberly D and put the final touches on the engine install prior to the "crew" showing up in 7 days for the trip up to Bellingham. Arrived in time to see Bob peer out of his hatch on the Yorktown and skedaddle onto and into the Kimberly D with bags in hand (after [...]

Another leg

31 May 2011
Blustery and Squalls
Headed for another try at our final destination. Brought along a 3rd. to help with the watches and armed with Bonine, dramine, wrist bands an whatever else I could think of to quell the unexpected reactions. Set off about 6pm on the 27th from Eureka and had good seas for the first bit. Cappy opted not to put up any sail and make it a motor journey. Seas getting rougher and felt the pangs come 3 PM. Totally useless for the rest of the trip. Raycor Filters started clogging up at about 6 AM the next morning and finally had to change 4 of them to prevent stalling. Last one gave up the ghost at about 4 PM (along with the starter) and that was it. Had to get towed into Brookings, OR ... made it by 12:30 and there she stays till we can get the fuel cleaned, removed or replaced...
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups