Tied with a Silver Chain

07 April 2014 | Captain's Cove Seaport; Bridgeport, CT
07 April 2014 | Bridgeport, CT
06 April 2014
05 April 2014 | Bridgeport, CT
05 April 2014 | Bridgeport, CT
27 January 2014 | home
27 January 2014 | Lake Tahoe, Nevada

Anatomy of a Blue Water Sailboat - The Southern Cross 39

27 January 2014 | Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Dave Severns
In her first post, Kelley introduced us and our "new" blue-water cruising sailboat (being modest, we're not comfortable referring to a 40' sailing vessel as a "yacht"), a Southern Cross 39. So, what is a "blue water" boat, and what makes this one special?

Southern Cross sailboats are a bit iconic, being designed as "no-nonsense" boats, built to excel at crossing oceans. Built by the C.E. Ryder Corporation in Rhode Island, "SC" boats are as rugged as they are pleasing to the eye, and can do it all, in all weather conditions. They are safe, strong, sea-kindly, and simple, bringing peace of mind without adding unnecessary (and often fragile) superfluity. "Safe and capable"...exactly what Kelley and I were looking for!


Few SC39s were built, and few are found for sale. Though often over 30 years of age (Silver Chain was built in 1982), demand dictates that these craft can fetch healthy, six figure resale values. The SC39 is what's referred to as a "double-ender", with the hull coming to a point at both bow and stern, much like a canoe. This allows her to handle rough seas without the rear-end of the boat being slammed or flooded by following waves. She has an overall length of just over 42', including the bowsprit, a beam of just over 12', and she draws about 5 1/2' of water. She is a cutter-rig, meaning she can fly 3 sails - a main sail and two additional fore-sails; where-as the ubiquitous sloop flies a maximum of only 2. She thus has a lot of flexibility to sail in varying wind conditions.


Below decks, Silver Chain has 3 separate, enclosed staterooms; a forward master stateroom, an aft double stateroom, and also an aft "pilot berth", built just wide enough for a tired sailor to get some shut-eye after a stormy midnight watch in the cockpit. She has two heads, plenty of seating area, and a full galley with stove, microwave, hot and cold running water, and refrigerated food storage. She is outfitted with radar, GPS/navigation system, "auto-pilot" steering control (yup...you can set the course, and she'll steer herself), TV, stereo system, etc. In short, she's a little home at sea...
Comments
Vessel Name: Silver Chain
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 39
Hailing Port: Old Hickory, TN
Crew: Kelley Rehm, Dave Severns
About:
Kelley and Dave are bridge engineers turned sailors! We have recently purchased our first sailboat - a blue water cruiser we plan to take all over the world... [...]

About Us

Who: Kelley Rehm, Dave Severns
Port: Old Hickory, TN