Silver Fox II

26 August 2012
23 August 2012 | Oswego Canal
07 August 2012

Through the Canal

26 August 2012
Aug 23 - After "servicing" the boat (filling with fuel and water and getting a pump out) we headed south on the Oswego Canal. It was great as the lock masters called ahead and we didn't have to wait for locks to be ready for us. There is one large lake that you have to cross, Oneida Lake, that needs to be done in fairly settled weather as it is quite shallow. We reached the west side a bit late in the afternoon but since it was calm decided to cross. We stopped on the other side at Sylvan Beach about 7:00 pm and tied up to the wall not under a light(less bugs)! We had a lovely dinner at the Canal View Café where Jean the owner for 35 years hooked us up to her Wi-Fi.

Aug 24 - Coffee is made and we were ready to get under way but the boat wouldn't start!!!! Rick and Jim checked the connections on the starter motor and the solenoid and then tightened the nuts on the battery and it started. Shortly we were on the Erie Canal and had a lovely day, sunny but not too hot and not too much waiting for locks. The locks are now dropping us to sea level and it is easier going down than up. We stopped at Great Falls where Tom, the dock master, drove me to town and then waited while I did the grocery shopping. It was the fastest shopping I have ever done and probably will ever do in my whole life!

Aug 25 - Boat wouldn't start again!!! Starter motor?!? Rick and Jim worked again and ended up jump starting it and off we went. After leaving the dock you go along the canal and then on your left below you is the town! It is really quite a spectacular view. The lock itself is unusual as the bottom gate rises up to open and you have to go under it. The drop at the lock is the highest in the system at 45 feet.
Along this stretch there are parts where the New York State Thruway is on one side and train tracks on the other. My favourite pastime is to wave at the vehicles on the highway and get them to honk back and get the trains to blow their whistle. Success on all fronts!
We traveled to Lock 11 at Amsterdam and meet up with "Allure". We all had dinner at Russos, a great Italian restaurant, which also had Wi-Fi. They had just recently re-opened after all the flood damage from the hurricane last year. You could see the damage that was still be repaired as you went farther east. The food is good here but you have to put up with the CONSIDERABLE train noise that goes all day and night.

Aug 26 - Jim "tweaked" the starter motor and we were on our way. While traveling along Rick sourced and ordered a new motor to be delivered to us at Hop-O-Nose Marina where we were having the mast stepped. After going through the flight of five locks that drops you to the Hudson River we stopped at the bottom, Waterford. They have a welcome centre here along with power on the floating docks, washrooms, showers and Wi-Fi. Deanna and I grocery shopped on the other side of the bridge. Our Longo wheeled cart is invaluable for bringing heavy things back. There were several other boats on the docks that were also heading south. I'm sure we will see them along the way. The six of us went out for dinner in town and had a nice evening.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silver Fox II
Vessel Make/Model: Freedom 45
Hailing Port: Toronto. Canada
Crew: Rick & Wendy Hardy

Silver Fox II

Who: Rick & Wendy Hardy
Port: Toronto. Canada