The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Going further south tomorrow

21 December 2009 | Nassau, Bahamas
Lynn
Sunday the three of us wandered over to the other side of the Harbour to Paradise Island. Some wise marketing person figured changing the name from the original "Hog Cay" would probably be better for tourism - I'd agree. We all agreed that is was surreal - everything was immaculately clean and lovely. It felt like being in Disney World. They had a huge aquarium in the lobby that guests could pay to snorkel in (they were more entertaining to watch than the fish). The casino was typical - subdued lighting, and Chris caught hell for taking pictures from Security. Ken and I dropped a whole dollar in a slot machine.

The worst part was how badly the guests were getting dinged. Conch fritters for $50-$60! Go to Potter's Cay for $3.00, kids, and they will be better. Breakfast was $25.00 per person, but only $13.00 for children. It is nice they have a man-made beach for the guests to swim in, with lots of toys, but I'll take the secluded beached any day. If they get thirsty while playing, they can pay $6.00 for a bottle of water. Water goes for $1.00 on the street. Beer's cheaper in town than the water there!

We escaped back over the bridge to the Nassau side of things. Whew, back to a world we can relate to!

Today we are preparing to go down to the Exumas tomorrow. Chris flies out tomorrow afternoon, and if we don't leave tomorrow morning, we will be in Nassau until the weekend. Nassau isn't so bad, but we don't like anchoring here, and the cruising budget does not enjoy being on docks. Chris will kill a couple of hours on his own before heading to the airport.

So, today was shopping, laundry, and filling the water tanks (Nassau water is now drinkable!). Ken even scrubbed the decks of the grime of the last three months - it was a good thing it was overcast or we would have been blinded looking at the decks! Thank you elbow grease and VIM with Bleach!

For the photo hounds out there, go the link on the side bar for our "Web Album", I have uploaded a bunch of pictures from the last couple of weeks!
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010