The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Very Well Rinsed, Thank You!

20 April 2013 | Portsmouth, Dominica
Lynn
It was one of those "we will, we won't... maybe we should" situations for when we were going to leave Les Saintes. We were enjoying ourselves, and having fun with the crew of 'Joana', but we also started feeling the pull to go to Dominica (I was also feeling the gap in my teeth where I was waiting for my new permanent crown, too). Thursday afternoon we took another look at the weather, and the longer term forecast, and decided on the Friday morning departure for the 20 mile hop to Portsmouth, Dominica. Since it was a Friday, it was going to be a continuation of our trip, not a departure; yes, sailors can be a superstitious lot.

The trip wasn't bad, the wind was pretty tight on the nose, but we could use it, and the angle actually made the waves more comfortable (choppy crap on the beam is NOT our favourite). We were greeted by "Alexis" of the Port Arthur Yacht Services (P.A.Y.S.) as we were rounding the point to Portsmouth, but declined the offer of a mooring and headed in. I am pretty sure he enjoyed the cold beer, though. We ended up anchoring in the same patch of sand that we were in the last time we were in Portsmouth, a whole 6 weeks ago. We got the dinghy back into usable order, and I headed in to Customs. I chose to walk through town rather than dinghy straight to the dock there, so I could reacquaint myself with the area. On my walk back I bought a couple of pounds of gorgeous tuna - I saw wasabi and ginger in the meal plan that night.

Our friends on 'Amoray' arrived from Roseau the next day, so I knew we had another couple to play with. We also heard from Bev and Mike on 'Whitebird' who we know from Grenada. They are in the process of heading north to prepare to take their boat back to the Mediterranean - they will be missed by the Grenada cruising community.

A barbecue lunch with the six of us at the Portsmouth Beach Hotel on the Sunday afternoon was lovely (we walked, while Bev and Mike were anchored in that area, anyway). Snorkelling off the beach there by the derelict pier was better than we had expected it to be, too, with the bonus of a fresh water rinse.

The crews of 'Amoray' and 'Silverheels III' chose to "tackle" Segment 13 of the Waitukubuli Trail (http://www.avirtualdominica.com/waitukubulitrail.cfm), the part from Pennville to Capuchin. This trail has been around for a while, and it was a natural to fit into the WNT. It's not far from Portsmouth, and it is easy to catch a bus to Pennville. That part of the trail is all trail, with no road components, and it is lovely with views of the Guadeloupan islands and walks through old estates. It is a segment of the trail well worth doing, and it isn't a killer.

However, that was pretty much the last thing we have done since then. I did get into Roseau to get my crown done (woohoo!), but for the last three days, we've been getting quite the rain. the boat is well rinsed from salt, and our water tanks are quite full. We have bailed out over 60 gallons of water from the dinghy in that time. Worse, there have been some slides that have disrupted traffic, and killed two people. It is a tad soggy in these parts! The squalls have caused one boat to drag (the P.A.Y.S. guys rescued the boat and put them on the safety of a mooring) and generally most of us have just hunkered down. The other morning I was contemplating not going for my run, but Ken literally kicked me out with the comment "You will drive us both crazy if you don't." He's right, of course. And it was a good run.

Today I went to the market and picked up some nice stuff, but broke one egg since I forgot to bring the empty egg holder with me (d'oh!). I haven't mastered the skill of carrying a dozen eggs in a little bag yet. Ken stayed on the boat and stayed dry.

So, in the meantime, until it dries up, we are reading, doing computer stuff, puttering, napping, and making plans for what we want to do when the "liquid sunshine" makes way for Mr. Sunshine. Martin (Providence) has been pointing out local hiking routes when he pops by, and he even brought me gorgeous flowers this morning. That can brighten anyone's day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010