The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Confession Time

05 May 2013 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
Lynn
The fenders of 'Silverheels III' had not brushed against a dock for mooring in about 2 and 1/2 years before this past January. Our fenders actually have another use on the boat as cushions to make the back of the boat by the stern rails more comfy for reading and when underway. This past January we bit the bullet and went to the marina at Rodney Bay to equalize our batteries and do a few other dock-friendly jobs. Well, that is a whole other blog entry http://www.sailblogs.com/member//silverheelsiii/?xjMsgID=257761 about that time around.

This time we came to the dock to a) buy and install new batteries and b) get a replacement prop for the dinghy outboard. Twice on a dock in 5 months!

Now here is the confession. I like it on the dock. Damn. I will admit that we would look down our noses at the people hanging on the dock in Grenada during hurricane season. Some cruisers have different terms for marinas "Assisted Living" or "The Suburbs" come to mind, possibly because I might have uttered those same phrases myself at some point or another. So, I now apologize and admit that I was wrong. It is pretty darned nice on the dock!

We don't need to fire up the dinghy to go somewhere, or get organized to do multiple things at the same time on land. We can step off the boat whenever we feel like it and do the errand. No wet dinghy rides, unlimited power (only important as we charge our new batteries, as our solar panels can still do the job). The pool is a lovely way to relax at the end of the day, and there is a great deal to be said for showers that have a good water supply.

However, we will be happy to get back onto the hook, where we can swim off the boat whenever we wish, and we can wear less clothing. On the dock, anyone can show up at any time (no, I don't want my woodwork or my hull taken care of or cleaned), so the state of dress is more important. Plus it is a lot less expensive swinging on the anchor than paying for dockage.

Visiting the marina is kind of like a mini-vacation, if we weren't trying to get so many jobs done at the same time. Right now it is changing the batteries; putting on the new prop; cleaning the dinghy and finding and fixing the blasted leak in the hull; turning the anchor chain end for end; changing the shackles on the main anchor (we have removed the stainless steel swivel as it is causing galvanic corrosion on the chain and anchor, and they can also be a point of failure), and other general jobs. Plus we will take advantage of the "Mega-J" store and the dock carts to get a big shop in.

Back to work, the hottest part of the day has passed...
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010