The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

CHEESE and BREAD!! (or cheese and rice!)

13 June 2013 | Woburn, Grenada
Lynn
"Cheese and Rice" or "Cheese and Bread" are kind of like the Island equivalent of "jeepers creepers"... rather than ripping out a big "J.C." this adaptation gets used so as to not blaspheme. Not that I haven't used the Lord's name in vain, but I love the "cheese and bread" alternative!

Now what has us saying something like that? Yesterday we left Carriacou and came south to the main island of Grenada. It was a lovely trip, and we actually didn't get skunked for wind on the lee side of the island (there's one for the log!). We figured that since we were making such good time, and we had left earlier than planned, that we would go around the south end of the island and head for one of the southern anchorages (Clarkes Court Bay was our eventual goal). As soon as we turned the corner at Point Saline, it became quite, um, boisterous. Forget that stuff, we'll turn and go back to St. Georges and tackle it in the morning, when the wind has dropped again (it's that daytime heating thing).

The anchorage at St. Georges was rolly, enough that we figured that we were going around in the morning, regardless. We got off to a nice early start, hauling anchor at 6:00am. When we got to Pt. Saline, it was MUCH calmer than the previous afternoon, and we grinned at our cleverness. We were going to have an easy trip to CCB! Well, that was all good, until we eyeballed the large black cloud(s) coming our way. Damn, this wasn't looking good. Our 10 knots on the nose became gusts up to 35 knots on the nose, and the seas became more of a 6 foot climb than gentler 3 or 3 footers. We bailed for Mount Hartman Bay, one we know well, and we knew that we could stay there physically comfortably for a while if need be.

We negotiated our way into Hartman, grateful for the reefs and island that protect the entrance. We headed for the dock of the marina, since we really needed water, and topping up the diesel while we were there would be so much easier. It was nice seeing some of the staff there, and there were big hugs. With full tanks (aahh) we headed out to anchor, but couldn't find a spot that we liked all that much. With the moorings, it is getting harder to find a spot to anchor, and being one of the "latecomers", the good spots were gone. We looked at each other, and said "screw it, let's go to Clarkes Court".

The wind had died a lot from when we had entered, it was down to a mere 20-25 knots on the nose, and the waves were less miserable. We were quite aware that at least one boat has been swept onto the reef next to the CCB entrance before, and we were justifiable nervous. This wasn't our first choice of weather to enter that bay, but it wasn't the worst either. We just knew we would have to be diligent.

Some of the waves on the nose were probably about 7-8 feet high, not what one would call "enjoyable" sailing conditions, but those were the vast minority. We motored around to the entrance of the bay and made our way in. It is well bouyed, and once we were in the lee of Caviligny Island, the worst was over.... well except for the squall that came up just before we anchored.

We motored around a bit as the winds died down, then anchored in the rain. Thankfully, the anchor caught easily and we settled down. A trawler wasn't as lucky and almost dragged onto a reef (he's now anchored in front of us). We back down at full RPMs to super set the anchor, but many cruisers just hope for the best.

Just need to get the outboard on the dinghy and we are "home" for a while!
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010