The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Rum Tasting; The Third Time Aroundf

19 December 2013 | St. Anne, Martinique
Lynn
“I really don’t like rum, I haven’t found one that I like” was the comment from Izzy during a discussion over drinks on ‘Izzy R’. “Too bad we never met that Minster of Rum guy that they talk about in ‘An Embarrassment of Mangoes.’” Well, Ed Hamilton is plying his rum expertise in the U.S. these days, so a cameo appearance from him is unlikely, so that, to me, sounded like the perfect excuse to have another rum tasting get-together, but our first away from Grenada.

Ken and I gathered our “collection” of rum together to see what we could offer to the rum education of ‘Banyan’ and ‘Izzy R’. Jeff and Izzy had two bottles of the French “Rhum Agricole” to offer to the experience, Alex and Dave had one, and we had 4 bottles from other countries to give a reasonable representation of different types of rums.

The good news is that Izzy did find out that rum can be VERY enjoyable, and that even the least pleasant to the taste buds (on its’ own) can be dealt with in such a way to make it an enjoyable cocktail. It was the first time any of them had tasted the French Antilles specialty of “ti punch” as well. It was a hit.

It was the first time that Ken and I had the chance to try a couple of the Agricole rums in a taste test like this. There certainly is quite the difference between distilleries, but of course, everyone needs to find their market. All three of the “rhums” were “vieux” (old or aged) but after that the difference was quite marked. They ranged from a floor stripper to a decent sipping rum, but they weren’t the overwhelming favourites.

We had two Guyanese rums from the same distillery, but one was 5 years old and the other was 12 years old. It is worth waiting the extra 7 years to get a decent sipping rum.

It was an entertaining and fun evening in the cockpit of ‘Silverheels III’. Ken and I are quite relieved that we know we won’t have hangovers the next day as we went easy on the samples and basically coasted for the rest of the evening. We aren’t entirely sure how the crews of the other two boats are going to feel in the morning.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010