The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

The Basse Terre Bus Trip

30 January 2015 | Basse Terre, Guadeloupe
Lynn
What do you get when you take two Americans, two Kiwis, and two Canadians and put them on a bus? A nice day out.
Basse Terre is both the name of the "West Wing" of the butterfly-shaped Guadeloupe, and also the name of the capital city located on that side of the island (while Pointe a Pitre is larger, and has more associated with it, it is not the capital). Basse Terre has a marina which we could go to, and an area where one can anchor if they want to, but there is a tendency to "rolliness" in the anchorage, and we have no strong desire to go to the marina. We figured the next best (affordable) way to see the town was by bus. This gives the added bonus feature of a chance to see more of the land part of the island. We have seen plenty of coastline already.
We invited Barb and Stewart of 'LaLuna' along for a play date, and they invited John and Shelly (boat name spelling I am not sure of at all), the Kiwis, along, too. We met on the marina dock where we are anchored at 8:00 am and headed to the bus stop. We got to Pointe a Pitre and walked to the terminal where the Basse Terre busses depart from (the side of the island, not specifically the town). The busses in and out of PaP have different departure points, and there is no central terminal or depot where the busses meet. So getting from point A to B may require a 10 to 15 minute walk to change busses. It IS a fun way to explore, though. In Basse Terre all of the busses conveniently leave from the same area.
We caught the more indirect bus (purely by accident) and took the scenic route through Cappesterrere. The bus ride was okay ,except for the music. Stewart is a guitar play, and loves music, and initially he didn'think the music was too bad. We warned him that it would soon irritate him in a manner similar to biting tin foil. After about 90 minutes of the same bad rhythm, poor vocalists, and generally uninspired and poorly done "music", we were all fed up with the music and eyeballing the wires to the speakers. Stewart's comment by the end was that he would have been happy to hear Sinatra (he is NOT a Sinatra fan). We survived, and the scenery of lush fields of sugar cane, bananas and other crops gave our eyes a feast, even while our ears were being beaten with mediocrity.
We arrived in Basse Terre and walked along the very nicely appointed boardwalk towards the centre-ville. Basse Terre has that typical French Antilles old town look. A mix of very old houses mixed with newer buildings that have been stained with mold or water stains. They have a part of a street that has been closed of for only pedestrian traffic. The market is in a covered area and is quite pleasant, with local artwork, crafts and produce all vying for the buyer's attention and Euros. I even found water lemons there (or pomme liane), a member of the passion fruit family that Ken and I cannot resist.
We wandered around and had lunch at a place advertising itself as real Creole food. This is where is became slightly more interesting for me.... The other four speak basically no French, Ken a smattering, ne thought that which left me as the "translator". Thankfully, food is easy to translate as I have been reading it on labels all of my life! The food was decent, and affordable.
After lunch, everyone thought that ice cream would be a nice treat. We finally found 1,001 Glacees (they only had 14 flavours) with only asking for directions twice (I am not good with some of the little details) and maybe a little luck. I saw an ice cream flavour that seemed familiar, and discovered that it was, indeed, water lemon (pomme liane) ice cream. These are possibly my favourite fruit, and as an ice cream, beyond amazing!
I can't honestly say that there is anything special or amazing about Basse Terre, and for us, a 7 Euro per person per way trip was probably the best way to see the town. We will use Deshaies as our base point for exploring more of the "West Wing"
Our trip back seemed a little faster, but the same route. Maybe it seemed faster because we couldn't really hear the music, and when we could, it wasn't the "zouk" (ironically, the same work used for "noise" in Creole). But we really want to check out more of the interior of that part of the island. Ken and I are also planning on taking the bus east to see what is there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010