The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Hello... Anyone still out there?

05 July 2015 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
Lynn
Mea culpa. I've been so busy with other things, and messing around with the tablet, that the blog has been sadly neglected. At least I got my article/column for Caribbean Compass in before the deadline again!

We've been in Rodney Bay for over two weeks. The trade winds have been uncharacteristically strong for this time in the season. I mean, we weren't in a huge rush to get down to Grenada, but we hadn't planned on spending Canada Day, or the 4th of July, in St. Lucia.

A synopsis of the last...how long? The volcano was the last post? Oh boy, I have been bad...
Left Fort de France and spent some time at Grand Anse d'Arlet. But I did do a blog about that with the catamaran race. Then we decided to swing around and go to St. Anne.

In St. Anne we met up with friends on 'Izzy R' and 'Banyan', as well as getting to know some other people better. I enjoyed some great trail runs, and dragged the others out on a hike or two as well (at their request). We rented a car with some new cruisers to the area to introduce them to the joy of the Decathlon Store and the HyperU, as well as showing them a bit more of the Atlantic coast ...okay, showing them the Atlantic coast since they had seen none of it.

After a suitable time, and a wait for the right weather, we jumped south to Rodney Bay, ostensibly for maybe a week. Since then, we have been on the dock, where we scraped and cleaned and painted the bottom of the hull of the dinghy. Ken finally took the bull by the horns and we dropped the mainsail and the boom to run some lines appropriately, and to give the lazy jacks a more permanent home. Other tinkering as well. Of course, no trip to Rodney Bay is complete without a trip to the dentist and a trip to the Mega J.

We also found out about a local brew pub that happens to be Canadian owned but well managed by their St. Lucian staff. We encouraged them to throw a Canada Day party, which we helped decorate for by lending them our 10 back up replacement Canada Flags. We believe a good time was had by all (we did!).

Now there seems to be a possibility to get farther south to St. Vincent mid week. Our fingers are crossed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010