The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Huh? Grenada Already?

21 July 2015 | Woburn, Grenada
Lynn
I've been bad. Okay, it isn't entirely my fault, but I have not been keeping my end iof the bargain. I chafe been horribly negligent in posting to the blog lately. Granted, the internet has not always been amenable to my posting a blog; heck, sometimes it is just darned frustrating and we have had to resort to using the phone for a hot spot in desperation!

We did make it to Bequia without incident, leaving really darned early from Rodney Bay to ensure plenty of daylight for our arrival. Yes, we had intended to actually go to Young's Island Cut, but when we got to the channel at the south end of St. Vincent where we should have followed the curve of the island to go straight into the wind, we decided the easy route to Bequia made more sense. We found a good place to anchor by some friends, and still had enough time to check in with Customs and Immigration (they are very nice there, especially Customs).

Eventually 'Banyan' and 'Izzy R', as well as 'True Colors', 'Annecam','Neptune II' and some other boats we knew congregated in the anchorage.

When Alexandra found out we had not done the home to Peggy's Rock, she volunteered David and herself to guide us up. Well, I've dragged them out on some interesting (hard?) hikes. 'Izzy R' had not yet arrived, but 'Banyan' was going to take them up in a couple of days. The Rock hike was great. About 5 miles, round trip, with an excellent view all around. We came upon some goats, and one was happy to licj my hand (watch the teeth!). It enjoyed the diluted Gatorade even more! Hopefully I will write more about that hike (don't hold your breath on it).

We popped up to St. Vincent to visit with Kumar and Corinne, and to stock up on Bowman's pepper sauce. It ends up that Corinne and Kumar know Janine Bowman, but her sinuses were to blasted from putting up 20 bottles of pepper sauce for her son to have company (she's also 81!). This is very much a cottage industry! I bought 12 bottles for our personal stores at the grocery store, in case she actually does retire from commercially bottling her wonderful "peppah".

We had another great tour of St. Vincent, the west coast this time. This will be another blog post, I promise.

We ended up sailing back down to Bequia to set ourselves up to come south. Grenada was calling, as we really need to get a survey for insurance this year, and to do our bottom paint. We then had a wonderful sail to Petite St. Vincent and anchored for the night, then had another good sail down to Benji Bay, our favourite place to anchor. Luckily, there was a prime space to drop the hook, and this time there is even good, free WiFi! Previous years this has not been a good place for internet.

So, we are back. Lots of hello's have already occurred, and many greetings of "welcome home".

We have been busy the last two days, getting quotes for the haulout, contacting the surveyor, and generally getting our poop in a group. The appointments are set, and we haul next Monday.

Stay tuned for more blogs soon!

Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010