The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Doin' Some Hard Time

28 July 2015 | True Blue, Grenada
Lynn
This is the first time in over five years that 'Silverheels III' has her bottom dry. We haven't run around on a reef or anything, we got a haul out. We are due for a survey for our insurance, and after five years, we were probably due for some work on our bottom. We know that there was a valve we weren't quite happy with, too.

We made our appointment to haul at Spice Island Marina, with various factors coming into the decision. Proximity to everything certainly was a big one. Cost-wise, it wasn't a killer, either. Plus theremis the bonus that the gentleman working with Ken on the fridge (did I mention the fridge was on the fritz?) has his workshop here, too.

Monday morning we got to the Travel Lift rather early, but that was actually advantageous as they pulled us out immediately.I do not enjoy watching the boat while it is being moved through the air, so I dealt with the administrative stuff in the office while Ken busily took pictures. Seemed like a perfectly fine division of labour to me.

The bottom looked surprisingly good for almost five and a half years in the water. There was still a good amount of anti-fouling paint left, but there was some minor blistering to be seen. The agreement with the yard is that they do the bottom work. While I am not fond of having others do the work (I can be quite picky about some things) not having to wear Tyvex suits and masks in this heat is actually a relief. So Kendall and Chad suited up and sanded the bottom in preparation for the new coats of paint. So far, things are going well.

I really dislike living on the boat on the hard. We can't use the toilet, or the sinks...and with the fridge not working, it is not a particularly happy time, domestically speaking. Lunch is easy, as we pick up a roti or something else reasonably priced, and dinner is catch as catch can. Yesterday we went to the restaurant next to the yard so we could have a cold beer and a bite of dinner.

Things are progressing well, and if we are lucky, we might even be back in the water by Thursday or Friday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010