The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Checking In to Deshaies, to check it Out

09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Lynn
Deshaies has always been an overnight stop for us. It is the most northerly port that cruisers can check in or out of on Guadeloupe. We’ve been ashore once, to check out on the customs computer, but otherwise, our knowledge of this town was limited to the cruising guide and other people’s Facebook posts and blogs. Kind of silly, especially when we know people who absolutely love it here. Add in the bonus of our friends Bob and Gigi being here, and it was time to explore the Caribbean coast of this island. Lord knows, we have certainly fallen in love with the rest of the place!
Our trip from Antigua started very early, at a few minutes after first light and before sunrise. The trip across the open water was routine, until we got to the top of Guadeloupe. There was a definite squall line heading our way, and it didn’t look like we were going to escape with dry clothes. We furled the jib early, in anticipation of the winds. Well, it ended up pretty anticlimactic; we got hit with a little rain (bless Ken, he told me to hide under the dodger), and we didn’t see much over 22 knots of wind. Heh. Well, better than that blast earlier this year as we came north towards Dominica…
There are a handful of free moorings in Deshaies, but the odds of getting them is low. We didn’t care, as the winds and currents are so squirrelly in this bay that we know a mooring ball would bounce off the hull and bowsprit, which would irk us repeatedly. We have enough chain and a good anchor, so we dropped the hook out by our friends.
Our first order of business, of course, was to check in. Well, when the boutique that has the Customs computer opens at 1600h. So lunch, a nap, and assembling the dinghy were done, THEN going ashore. Drinks and pizza on ‘Pinnacle’ finished the day beautifully.
The next day was a public holiday for the Feast of the Ascension. There were ads for a Creole Food Festival, with drums and music. Well, it ended up just being some ladies selling local food, in traditional garb, but it was tasty enough, and they were very pleasant to chat with. Bob and Gigi showed us the Deshaies ropes, since they had already been enjoying the town for 9 days up to this point.
The next morning, Ken and I put on our walking shoes and took the 1.5 km walk up to the Botanical Gardens. In a nutshell, “magnifique”. We also gathered enough material and base information for about three more years of articles for my monthly contributions to “Caribbean Compass”. There was a cage with Lorikeets (similar to a parakeet), where, for 50 cents Euro, you could get some food for them. Well, the birds know this, as they hang around the dispenser like drunks around the liquor store. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any coins. However, we made up for it when the large peacock at the snack stop happily ate some of my bokit from out of my fingers.
Les Jardins Botaniques were very worthwhile, as many of our friends have told us!
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010