Travels on the Inside Passage

A log of cruising adventures in coastal areas of British Columbia, Canada and in Southeast Alaska.

07 September 2014 | Ganges, B.C.
05 September 2014 | Quadra Island, B.C
25 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
19 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
15 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
15 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
14 August 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
14 August 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
14 August 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
28 July 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
26 July 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
25 July 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
22 July 2014 | Jennis Bay, Drury Inlet

Echo Bay Fun

14 August 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
Pleasant summer weather.
Friday, 01 August 2014

The prime rib dinner was excellent. Pierre, who runs the marina along with his wife Tove, cooks meat on a large rotisserie grill. The meat is place on a spit the size of a truck axle and is slow roasted all day. On Saturdays in the summer, Pierre does a whole pig on the spit. The food here is the main attraction, but there is also entertainment. This weekend the dinner will be followed by a presentation and slide show on “Cruising the Great Bear Rainforest”.

Rob went on a hike up in the nearby forest, to burn off some of last night's calories. He took the dinghy across Echo Bay to the park and school grounds. There is a forest trail that starts behind the school. At one time there was a big enough community here to support the need for a school. The school has been closed since the late 80's, but the books, desks, chalk boards and other school equipment are still there.

Saturday, 02 August 2014

Rob hikes again today, this time cross-country on the hill above the resort. He started out on the trail that leads over to Bill Proctor's and veered off into the woods above the trail. There has been some activity on the side of the hill that faces Cramer Passage. There is a crude road coming in from Proctor's and evidence of some clearing effort. It may be that someone is preparing cabin sites for sale. They will have a great view of the water and boat traffic in the pass.

The pig was placed on the spit early this morning and will be ready for us to consume by 6 this evening. The pig is provided by Pierre and Tove and the boaters provide hearty pot-luck style dishes to complete the meal. Sharon will make a Spanish Rice dish to take up. Everyone brings their own plates and cutlery and we all eat together like one big happy family. These events are hugely popular and reservations are a must. We are not disappointed by the feast or the presentation afterward.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sirena
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 36 Europa
Hailing Port: Bellingham WA
Crew: Rob and Sharon
About: We are retired and cruise the waters of the Pacific Northwest.
Extra: "Sirena" is a 1989 Grand Banks trawler. She has a single engine and all the amenities to make life on board comfortable.

M/Y SIRENA

Who: Rob and Sharon
Port: Bellingham WA