Sirena

"Sail fast and live slow"

09 December 2013
02 December 2013
17 May 2013 | La Paz
13 May 2013 | Mazatlan
10 December 2012
03 December 2012
03 December 2012 | twenty miles from Loreto
03 December 2012 | Santa Rosalia to Santo Domingo
13 November 2012 | Puerto Escondido
13 November 2012 | Santa Rosalia
01 May 2012 | Mazatlan, Mx
29 April 2012
07 April 2012 | Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos
11 March 2012

Playa Santispac, Bahia Concepcion

05 June 2011 | Santispac beach in Concepcion Bay
Connie, windy-20 knots when we arrived and the next day also.
When we left San Juanico early at 7 a.m. we had wind-15 knots from the west-so we had a nice sail up the coast. Then about 1/2 way to Concepcion Bay, the wind switched almost opposite, and came from the northeast, so we continued reaching up the coast on the other tack! We've found that the winds in the Sea are not consistant like on our Pacific coast of Calif. By the time we were close to Concepcion Point the wind was blowing 20 knots and the seas had built up to 5-6' and the waves were very close together. These short, steep waves (that are common in the Sea) make for an uncomfortable ride. But fortunately we were only 5 miles from the point. After rounding the point we had 8 miles of very fast downwind sailing to the first anchorage called Santispac Beach. Concepcion Bay is about 20 miles long and 3-4 miles wide, and has many anchorages within it. Santispac is well-protected with hills all around and is only open to the south, so it was nice to get into this calm anchorage after our rough and windy ride. It has a nice beach and a palapa restaurant on the beach. Our friends, Bill and Kat, on Island Bound arrived shortlly after us and anchored next to us, having also come from San Juanico. We also found our good friends, Leif and Lisa, on Honcho anchored in the next bay. All 6 of us had dinner together in Anna's palapa restaurant. Honcho had met an American, Jerry, who has a house here and invited him and his daughter to join us for dinner. He was very nice and offered to take us and Bill and Kat, to Mulege to get supplies. We were lucky, as there were no stores in Santispac and Mulege was about 14 miles away. He showed us around Mulege and invited us to his house the next day. His house was on the hill above the bay and had fantastic views. His house, like many of the homes here, is made out of the rock that is found locally. It is rustic, but very comfortable and nice. Check out the pictures of it. Leif and Lisa had told us that the whale sharks were in the bay and we were so excited to hear that because one of the things that I wanted to do on this trip was to see and swim with the whale sharks. So the next morning we got up early and the water was glassy and we could see several whale sharks swimming around the bay. We jumped into our swimsuits and grabbed our snorkel gear and got in the dinghy (before even having a cup of coffee!) and went out to see them up close. They were lazily swimming on the surface with their mouths open sucking in the plankton and other small sea creatures. They didn't seem to mind people being around them. They were several dinghys and kayaks following them. They would swim right next to, and under, the dinghys sometimes with their tails rubbing on the dinghy. I jumped in the water to swim with one, he was about 3 times as long as I was and didn't care that I was there in the water with him. Most of them were juveniles and were about 15' long, however there was one that must have been 40' long because he swam by our boat and was almost as long as it. His dorsal fin was chewed up as if he got run over by a propeller. It was an amazing experience to see these magnificent creatures up close. There were 5 of them in the bay with us for the 5 days that we were there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sirena
Vessel Make/Model: Cardinal 46
Hailing Port: Newport Beach, CA
Crew: Ed and Connie Quesada
About: Ed and Connie have been sailing together for over 44 years and have sailed on Sirena for over 22 years. Sirena has been to Mexico many times before. We plan an extended vacation to Mexico for four or more months. Stay tune as we take our time through the warm weather down south.
Extra: Slow cruising through Mexican waters
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/directory_sirena1

Ed and Connie

Who: Ed and Connie Quesada
Port: Newport Beach, CA