Sirius

Delivery part 2

07 April 2007
Copied from Yotblog
Thursday April 5 - approaching noon, no news. Getting nervous - even the tax inspector was sympathetic. Popeye called at 15:15 - they were 30 miles off Corsica. The weather had been typically untypical, ie strong wind on the nose. The bad news was that 2 of the crew were out of action because seasick, the efficiency of a 3rd was seriously impaired for other reasons. The good news was that the 3 remaining managed their watches single handed, and the best news was that Sirius did brilliantly, making 8 knots under reduced sail. Just after leaving Bormes, they had had to make a 2 hour detour to avoid being bombarded by military manoeuvres off Levant! Wind dropped during the morning, so they were now motor sailing to Bonifacio, under blue sky + bright sunshine.

Next call at 21:15 - arrival in Bonifacio 15 min before, and crew off to restaurant - apparently the sick crew had recovered sufficiently to be hungry!

Weather looks OK for next day, so they plan to press on

Friday April 6 - Me up at dawn to look up 4 different weather sites. All announce very light winds, calm seas, but none agree on wind direction!Sirius left Bonifacio at 13:45, bound for Salina, Eolian Islands. Estimated passage time 60 hours. Weather calm and settled , no wind to speak of , so motor on again - at least the fridge will be cold. Fuel tank was full (150l) in Bormes, hope they topped up in Bonifacio!

Probaly no more news till Monday, so planning to paint the bathroom to keep me occupied



Comments
Vessel Name: Sirius
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 37
Hailing Port: Gouvia
Crew: Popeye and OliveOyl
About: Retired (him), soon to be retired (her) grandparents. Popeye's been sailing for many years, Olive decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" in 2003. Acquired Sirius in 2007
Extra: Crew currently located in Belgistan, plan to relocate to Greece in 2012

Who: Popeye and OliveOyl
Port: Gouvia