Sirocco Sails to Mexico

S/V Sirocco

Who: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
Port: Oceanside, CA
21 June 2011 | San Diego
20 June 2011 | 145 Miles from San Diego
16 June 2011 | 275 Miles from San Diego
14 June 2011 | 70 Miles South of Turtle Bay
12 June 2011 | Halfway to Bahia Santa Maria
10 June 2011 | San Jose Del Cabo
08 June 2011 | Between La Paz and San Jose Del Cabo
01 June 2011 | La Paz
28 May 2011 | La Paz
25 May 2011 | En route to La Paz
24 May 2011 | Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida
24 May 2011 | Isolotes
24 May 2011 | Nopolo
22 May 2011 | Ballena
22 May 2011 | Timbabiche
22 May 2011 | Agua Verde
14 May 2011 | Honeymoon Cove
14 May 2011
14 May 2011

La Cruz, Nayarit, Mexico

16 November 2009
Yesterday we went over to Las Tres Marietas for snorkeling. The water was very clear, about 86 degrees, and we saw lots of fish and live coral. The fish are much larger here than in the Caribbean but just as colorful. We also saw a large trumpet fish. We stayed in the water for over an hour which is easy to do since the water is so warm. I think it's warmer than the BVI.

We sailed back to La Cruz under spinnaker alone and hit 9-10 knots the entire trip. A couple of boats (a Hunter 44 and a Catalina 42) left the islands about half an hour ahead of us and we caught up to them in no time. The crews from the 2 boats were talking about us zooming by them last night at dinner and asked us about Sirocco. One of the captains asked me if we were staying around for the Banderas Bay Regatta and if we were, he would like to crew on Sirocco.

We met lots of cruisers last night at a taco on the street stand. It really was a sit down open air restaurant that is only open 4 nights a week. Carne asada tacos were 12 pesos each. The tortillas were the same size as Anitas but they were stuffed with much more meat and other fixings. What a deal! And the flan was absolutely amazing. The best any of us ever had. Bill, we were trying to figure out a way to ship some to you but no success. You will just need to come down here yourself and sample in person. We were stuffed when we came back to the boat.

It was great talking to some of the cruisers that have basically moved down here permanently on their boats. They gave us a lot of information and suggestions.

The guys are changing the oil this morning. The plan is then to go to the marina in downtown Puerta Vallarta for a couple of nights so Dave can fly home tomorrow and so we can fully re-provision the boat. Apparently the next place we can really provision is Barra Navidad which is 130 miles from here. We also need to fix our anchor light. We think a booby bird broke it when he parked himself on top of the mast for half a day.

We are really enjoying the weather here. Temperature is in the high 80's but the humidity is about the same as Oceanside. We get a nice cool breeze in the evening that makes for great sleeping conditions. The anchorage is very calm, no rocking and rolling like Catalina.

Everything on the boat is still working fine. The engine has never run better. The fridge is keep up with the warm weather. The watermaker is keeping up with our drinking demands. No complaints.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sirocco
Vessel Make/Model: J Boats J/130
Hailing Port: Oceanside, CA
Crew: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
About:
Lee and Cathy own Sirocco, a 1994 J/130 they purchased over three years ago and had shipped across the country from Rockport, Maine to Oceanside, California. Lee and Cathy have primarily raced Sirocco but decided to slow down and take some time cruising. [...]
Extra: .

S/V Sirocco

Who: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
Port: Oceanside, CA