Sirocco Sails to Mexico

S/V Sirocco

Who: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
Port: Oceanside, CA
21 June 2011 | San Diego
20 June 2011 | 145 Miles from San Diego
16 June 2011 | 275 Miles from San Diego
14 June 2011 | 70 Miles South of Turtle Bay
12 June 2011 | Halfway to Bahia Santa Maria
10 June 2011 | San Jose Del Cabo
08 June 2011 | Between La Paz and San Jose Del Cabo
01 June 2011 | La Paz
28 May 2011 | La Paz
25 May 2011 | En route to La Paz
24 May 2011 | Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida
24 May 2011 | Isolotes
24 May 2011 | Nopolo
22 May 2011 | Ballena
22 May 2011 | Timbabiche
22 May 2011 | Agua Verde
14 May 2011 | Honeymoon Cove
14 May 2011
14 May 2011

Sirocco Heads North Again

05 January 2010
We're back online again. With the grandsons here, we've been so busy we haven't had time to update the blog.

The trip inland was great. we spent a night in Guadalajara and Colima with side trips to Telaquepaque and Comela. Lee has learned to drive like the locals which means passing on double solid lines and on bridges. The roads here aren't too bad but expensive.

I hope everyone had a festive New Year's celebration. The resort put together a disco that was attended by only about 40 people. They also had an incredible fireworks display right on the beach. We were about 20 feet from the launch site. The fireworks lasted about 8 minutes and we had all kinds of ash on the boat the next morning.

We did a fishing charter with the boys but didn't have any luck. Not even a hit. We decided sailboats are much better fishing vessels. The boys had a great time here. I think they adjusted the carburetor on the outboard. It flies now. The other day we were at the dock waiting for the water taxi and we saw a dinghy planing across the lagoon. Lee said wow, look how fast they are going and as they got closer we noticed it was ours! I guess boys will be boys.

We ran into Romeo who used to work with Steve Barry. He is a chef aboard a 100 foot yacht called Besame. Small world.

We just left Barra Navidad this morning and plan to go directly to Banderas Bay. The weather forecasters are puzzled by the models which show a possible tropical disturbance later this week off of Socorro Island. They all say this is very unusual for this time of year. The winds are forecasted light and from the south and seas are flat so we want to make the most distance north we can. The boys are taking a bus to Puerto Vallarta today and will spend the night and fly home tomorrow.

We have spotted 2 whales already this morning so are watching closely. Wind is 10-12 knots apparent and we are averaging 7.2 knots under sail. Just caught a small tuna after only 2 hours at sea. Life is good!

PS. Just caught another fish, just 20 minutes later!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sirocco
Vessel Make/Model: J Boats J/130
Hailing Port: Oceanside, CA
Crew: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
About:
Lee and Cathy own Sirocco, a 1994 J/130 they purchased over three years ago and had shipped across the country from Rockport, Maine to Oceanside, California. Lee and Cathy have primarily raced Sirocco but decided to slow down and take some time cruising. [...]
Extra: .

S/V Sirocco

Who: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
Port: Oceanside, CA