Sirocco Sails to Mexico

S/V Sirocco

Who: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
Port: Oceanside, CA
21 June 2011 | San Diego
20 June 2011 | 145 Miles from San Diego
16 June 2011 | 275 Miles from San Diego
14 June 2011 | 70 Miles South of Turtle Bay
12 June 2011 | Halfway to Bahia Santa Maria
10 June 2011 | San Jose Del Cabo
08 June 2011 | Between La Paz and San Jose Del Cabo
01 June 2011 | La Paz
28 May 2011 | La Paz
25 May 2011 | En route to La Paz
24 May 2011 | Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida
24 May 2011 | Isolotes
24 May 2011 | Nopolo
22 May 2011 | Ballena
22 May 2011 | Timbabiche
22 May 2011 | Agua Verde
14 May 2011 | Honeymoon Cove
14 May 2011
14 May 2011

Passage to Mazatlan

24 November 2010
Sirocco left the Los Muertos anchorage at 5:15am to make the 190 mile trip across the Sea of Cortez to Mazatlan. The weather forecast was calling for 15-20 knot winds in the morning and then getting lighter throughout the day with almost no wind the next morning as we approach Mazatlan. We calculated we would arrive in Mazatalan between 11:00am and noon on Wednesday.

The problem about forecasts is that, well, they are just forecasts. We had steadywinds of 20-25 knots true with gusts to 30. It was a beam reach almost the entire way with fairly large seas on the beam as well. We double-reefed the main and single reefed the jib at times. We were flying. After 12 hours we had gone 95 miles and had averaged 8knots/hour for the 12 hours. That means halfway in just 12 hours which would put us in Mazatlan at around 5:00am instead of noon. This was not good for 2 reasons: 1) We would be arriving at Mazatlan at dark, and 2) We would be arriving at low tide. The channel at Mazatlan is supposedly 12 feet but we had heard that it has shoaled somewhat. Sirocco draws 8.5 feet. We definitely did not want to negotiate the harbor entrance at low tide. So we decided to take down the main completely at sundown to slow Sirocco down. On most boats this is no simple task with 25 knot winds on the beam and 5 to 8 foot seas. But fortunately Sirocco's main system has Harken battcars which makes raising and lowering the main much easier. After we dropped the main we were still hitting 7 knots. So Inclined had been motorsailing the entire time and was right behind us. They eventually passed us but stayed within 3-4 miles ahead of us. It is a reassuring feeling to have a "buddy" boat close by when making a passage like this.

The winds and seas finally layed down early in the morning and let those off watch get a little sleep. We arrived in Mazatlan at 7:30am, washed down the boat, had breakfast, and went to sleep! Our dock is almost completely filled with boats from San Diego.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sirocco
Vessel Make/Model: J Boats J/130
Hailing Port: Oceanside, CA
Crew: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
About:
Lee and Cathy own Sirocco, a 1994 J/130 they purchased over three years ago and had shipped across the country from Rockport, Maine to Oceanside, California. Lee and Cathy have primarily raced Sirocco but decided to slow down and take some time cruising. [...]
Extra: .

S/V Sirocco

Who: Lee Pryor and Cathy Sweet,
Port: Oceanside, CA