More Boat Projects--Heat Exchanger and Impeller
31 May 2011 | La Paz
Yesterday we got the refrigerator compressor bracket back from the welder. Lee's new design was the ticket. It wasn't easy getting it re-installed, but now the bracket is very beefy (guy talk) and should withstand any engine vibration.
Of course another problem cropped up. After the bracket was installed, we installed new belts and checked everything on the engine with a flashlight. Bob noticed raw water spraying from the heat exchanger. Rats! The threads inside the heat exchanger are partly stripped.
Repairing the heat exchanger became today's project. Mike Borer would be proud of us. We used his favorite repair substance, "JB Weld". It is curing right now and we will test it later. But of course when the heat exchanger was pulled out another problem was discovered; a few pieces of the impeller were in the heat exchanger. Who knows how long those pieces have been there. So there's another project.
It's supposed to be 105 degrees today in La Paz so we will quit working for the day and tackle repairs again in the morning. The good news is that La Paz is a large city and most parts can be found here.