12 June 2011 | Halfway to Bahia Santa Maria
Yesterday we left San Jose Del Cabo in the morning. We arrived in Cabo San Lucas at around 1:00pm and ducked our nose out. The wind was 25 and the seas large so we decided to anchor for awhile and wait until midnight. Both Pacifico and Sirocco left right at midnight and the conditions were very good for rounding Cabo Falso. Les says it's the best he's ever seen.
The seas were a little lumpy and the wind 8-12 during the night. More chop this morning and the boat was pounding pretty hard. There are about 5 boats out here. One of the boats had some excitement this morning. Water was above their floorboards. Turns out water was coming into their anchor locker (which is normal) but the bilge pump wasn't working. We also had water coming into our anchor locker and splashing onto the v-berth. We fixed that problem. We've also had some water coming in through the sprit gasket but not too bad.
Right now the seas have laid down a little and we are doing between 7 and 7.4 and are the rhumbline; average speed has been 6.3 knots against some strong seas. Wind is 15 knots true. Les is jazzed. Looks like we will bypass Bahia Santa Maria and go straight to Turtle Bay. Everyone is in good spirits and has been able to sleep. We heard from Pacifico this morning but are now out of radio range.