Siyasinana

A Zulu name for "We dance with each other"

20 February 2013 | Hilton Head, SC
14 September 2011 | Hilton Head, SC
12 December 2010 | West Palm Beach
25 November 2010 | St. Mary's River, Ga.
09 November 2010 | half n half
14 June 2010 | near Beaufort SC
15 April 2010 | KEY WEST-jEWFISH BASIN
08 April 2010 | Key West, Florida
12 March 2010 | Fanny Keys, Marathon Shores
08 March 2010 | Anguilla Cay, Cay Sal Bank
03 March 2010 | Lisbon Creek, Andros Bahamas
01 March 2010 | Rocky Point
20 February 2010 | The Bight of Acklins
09 February 2010 | Little Harbor, Long Island
02 February 2010 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
22 January 2010 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
16 January 2010 | Black Point Exumas
03 January 2010 | Norman's Pond
26 December 2009 | Bimini
10 December 2009 | Cocoa Beach to Ft Pierce

Admiral 40-Key West

08 April 2010 | Key West, Florida
Gary, Beautiful
Marathon to Key West, the "back side" is the less traveled route for sure. After anchoring out behind Marathon for almost 3 weeks(Boot Key harbor was way too crowded for us), our replacement dingy was finally sent by the Walker Bay company, warranty department. It took some time, but in the end, the company stepped up to the plate and helped us out of a jam. If you live on the hook, the dink becomes a rather critical item...if you want food and such. Time was spent changing oil, fixing really important things that decide not to work, i.e.; water maker, generator and then, all of a sudden, we could not shut down one of the engines. For some of the problems, we simply found the issue and just fixed it. Others we fixed as well but they fall into the category of "miracles". I'm sure you other cruisers know exactly the "miraculous repair". It's when something stops working and you immediately start doping it out, tracing all the potential reasons, reading the manuals, Nigel Calder etc. Then you get out the multi meter and all your tools. You then start doing stuff even though you have no idea what you are doing or how it could possibly relate to the problem faced. Then, all of a sudden, with a faint sound of trumpets wafting down into the bilge where you hang upside down contortionist like with tools in one hand, flash light in the other, the miracle happens. Everything is working fine. When this happens, we've learned not to discuss why it now works and instead just exchange high fives for another miracle fixed bestowed.
So anchors up and sailing west (its so hard to remember that the Keys, as you get closer closer to Key West, are oriented east-west, not north-south as most visualize). It's so pervasive that even the guide books say "now head "south" (west really)....
The Big Spanish Channel took us to the Gulf after which we slid into some of the nicest anchorages to be found in all the Keys. Our favorite was Jewfish Basin. Pick a sheltered spot and then fish and explore by dingy all these mangrove bordered winding canals that would be perfect for a James Bond chase scene. When the little fish didn't steal our bate, we caught a few Snappers and also 2 Bonnet head sharks. They look very similar to a Hammerhead except the hammer is more rounded. Their little eyes sit way out on the sides of the "bonnet". Fortunately they were small and easy to grab due to leather like non skid skin. Not at all slimy.
Our Admiral 40 catamaran is a bit like a small city. We never dock so water, heat, cooling and electricity are all made on board. We can charge the 6 AGM batteries using one engine, both or by the more fuel efficient 4KV diesel generator. During the sunny days, the 4 solar panels can run the fridge and freezer all day. We use small Radio Shack type of inverters (instead of firing up the big 4 KV) to watch TV, run the computer, charge the I-phones, etc. Tonight is a big TV nite as we will watch my ole hockey team, Miami of Ohio, take on Boston College in the semis of Div. 1 NCAA finals. Go Redskins (when I played...now the Redhawks).
Siyasinana is now sitting on a city mooring ball in Key West, the land of non stop happy hours, cruise ships, characters and general debauchery. 25 friends and family members arrive today and tomorrow for my niece Denise wedding with Jessie. Two of the greatest. We're looking forward to it and are resting up for the festivities which we are certain will require we stay up past 9pm. So far, no Pirates, but we're diligent to not leave the boat looking inviting. In addition, any scallywags would have to deal with George, a fierce and ever aware 7 lb. Maltese. Two days ago, we hit town and walked. Lisa bought a few essentials (clothes), but she deserves a fresh look. My first mate (actually Admiral) has found a new diet and the pounds are melting away. She's so happy it's ridiculous. She bought a new cap. It made her so happy she's been walking around with that big smile like "Viagra Bob". Lisa, Lordess of many talents, is the vessel engineer as she can grasp all sorts of details and her minds flows in a most unusual manner of logistical steps in sequential logistics. An awesome Admiral for sure. At present, we are getting ship-shape for company and will cast off the mooring ball and anchor closer to the action for the next few nights of aforesaid debauchery. Key West, here we come.
Comments
Vessel Name: SiyaSinana
Vessel Make/Model: 40 foot Admiral Catamaran from Cape Town, South Africa
Hailing Port: West Falls, NY
About:
In February on 2005, we wanted to escape a below-zero temperature weekend in hometown Buffalo, New York. Having never even discussed boating or wanting to even own a boat, we headed to the Miami Boat Show, presumably to get new topsiders. [...]
Extra:
Married on the day after Christmas 2003, Gary and Lisa had done a little sailing on Lake Erie in "KYPU", a 26ft. Contessa with no navigation equipment and a broken engine. They now live aboard and cruise extensively on Siyasinana in the company of dog "George". Captain Lisa is now a licensed USCG [...]

Captains Gary & Lisa

Port: West Falls, NY