Skydusky

Wandering along the East Coast and Bahamas

27 October 2023 | Yankee Point Marina, Lancaster, VA
26 October 2023 | Yankee Point Marina, Lancaster, VA
13 October 2023 | Lancaster, VA
06 October 2023 | Lower Chesapeake Bay
05 October 2023 | Onancock, VA
06 July 2023 | Lancaster, VA
06 July 2023 | Lancaster, VA
20 May 2023 | Stingray Point Boat Works, Deltaville, VA
28 June 2019 | Chesapeake Bay, VA
27 June 2019 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
27 June 2019 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 June 2019 | Hoopersville, Honga River, MD
26 June 2019 | Chesapeake Bay, MD
25 June 2019 | Hudson Creek, Little Choptank River, MD
25 June 2019 | Hudson Creek, Little Choptank River, MD
24 June 2019 | Wye Island, MD
23 June 2019 | Dividing Creek, Wye East River, MD
22 June 2019 | San Domingo Creek, Choptank River, MD
21 June 2019 | Oxford, MD
20 June 2019 | Oxford, MD

Coming home

13 April 2013 | Lancaster, VA
Luckily the weather forecasters were wrong once again. The on-the-nose wind prediction turned into a nice push home with a wonderful sail up the bay and the Rappahannock River to our dock. What a fun way to come home!

The only problem with that is the thought of what comes next: hauling stuff off the boat, doing mountains of laundry, and cleaning the dirt and pollen that have been collecting on the boat because we procrastinated by saying "we'll be home soon and can do it then". Well, guess that "then" is now unless we can continue to tell ourselves we need to take a break and relax. ;-)

Portsmouth hospitality

12 April 2013 | Portsmouth, VA
milepost 0
We're only a day away from home but are waiting for stormy weather to pass. Portsmouth has a free wall for docking, though officially overnight stays are prohibited. Rumor has it that the rule is not enforced. Wonder why that police vehicle has been parked nearby all morning?

Dismal

11 April 2013 | Dismal Swamp Canal, NC
milepost 35
This is the South Mills lock on the Dismal Swamp Canal that raises you up for the transit to the Deep Creek lock.

We're trying to get home without breaking too many things. So far our chartplotter has a bad power connection and quits at the most inopportune times. Then after a nice sail across the Albemarle and up the Pasquotank, we forgot to pull up the daggerboard and had a grounding that we hope didn't do too much damage - we'll find out when we lift it out at home. And last, head issues always seem to be a challenge on a long trip. It's time for a pump rebuild and we need to figure out why the holding tank doesn't drain through the valve. Though few and far between, we have been able to find marinas with working pumpout stations that don't cost $25 at just the right time.

Sailing the Sounds

10 April 2013 | Pasquotank River, Elizabeth City, NC
milepost 44
Skydusky and Charm have had a chance to dust off the sails from Pamlico Sound to Albemarle Sound in NC with winds from the S/SW pushing us closer to home.

Slugging our way north

05 April 2013 | SC/NC border
milepost 342
Since we put in at Port Royal, SC, we have been fighting strong northerly winds, currents and waves pushing against us, and drenching rain. Finally today despite chilly damp weather, we finally had the current pushing us north. Jim bought some fresh shrimp, the sun came out, and all was right with the world again.

We're trying to do 50 miles per day so we should be back in the Chesapeake in a week or so, weather permitting.
Vessel Name: Skydusky
Vessel Make/Model: Maine Cat 30
Hailing Port: Lancaster, VA
Crew: Ed and Lynn
About: We live on Myer Creek near the Corrotoman River, Rappahannock River, and Chesapeake Bay. Come and visit and we'll have a cold beer waiting for you!
Extra: Skydusky is named for Skydusky Hollow in Bland County, VA where we used to go caving when we were younger and in our prime.