Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

We made it!

20 January 2012 | Nassau Bahamas
Heather
Wow, we're happy to report from the Bahamas now! We haven't been here on our own boat since 1998. Although it took 4 months to prepare ourselves & the boat for this cruise, the crossing over here was short & sweet. We had light east winds & near calm seas so we could power into them and since we are still in the break-in period for the engine, we have to go full blast most of the time so even though we left at 3am, we were on the banks by 9:30. There was pleasant moonlight and the glow of Miami to keep us company.

We continued on across the Great Bahama Bank all day yesterday and anchored on them last night at sunset. It was a beautiful, flat calm evening and except for a little pick up in the wind overnight, it was very peaceful. There were several other boats out there since it was a good weather window and I'm sure Miami anchorages are cleared out now as a result. Since you can't cover the banks in a day and you shouldn't travel in these waters at night, you just stop wherever and drop an anchor. It is an odd feeling to do this and you could have a rotten night with no protection from the wind & waves, but you don't have many choices on this one but to hope for the best. The depth ranges 12-22ft or thereabouts and the water is brilliant blue.
Jon dragged a line for a couple hours once it got light after our crossing, but then pulled it in when we hit the banks because then you're likely to only catch a barracuda. The meat is OK but it is kind of dark and we really don't need to tempt fate with another case of ciguatera anyway. We got that on our first trip here. We've been trolling 2 lines all day today on our way to Nassau but nothing yet.

Both yesterday & today have been lazy days. We are still a little tired from the crossing since we pretty much just stayed up all night, but that doesn't take away our appetite; I feel like all I do is eat. We both started new books (I started Water for Elephants) which is the first in a while since it's been mainly list making and internet research with any free time we've had lately. Yesterday we were motoring in calm winds so I made some cookies, Jon made a chicken salad for lunch and other than that we just kept watch & marveled at the clarity of the water. Today we have great wind and we're barreling along with a reef in the main making great time to Nassau. I can't believe the boat is sailing beautifully despite all the food, alcohol, supplies, fishing gear and equipment we've added. The watermaker is keeping our tanks full, the wind generator is purring, the solar panels are smiling at the sun, the autopilot is steering without as much noise as we thought it would be and overall, things are looking good!!! The plan is to get checked in & refuel in Nassau and head across to the Exuma Cays tomorrow. Once we get settled in the Exumas I hope to start our diving routine and start meeting some new friends.

There is already a list of stuff to fix- the radar is on 180 degrees backward since we rotated the mount for the solar panels so that needs to be taken down again and oriented properly. One of the bilge pumps isn't working; probably clogged with another minuscule piece of paint chip from preplacing the engine. My gosh, those things do clog easily! We'll be thankfully done with the break-in for the engine tomorrow and can slow it down to conserve fuel after changing the oils and checking everything over, well, and refueling!

Update: I'm sending this to Charlie to post tonight- we are sitting in the marina at Atlantis resort in Nassau. Since customs won't come out to your boat anymore to check you in, you have to go to a marina. What better place than here!

Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]