Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

We have AC!

16 April 2008 | La Ceiba
Heather
Well wouldn't you know that after all this heat, on the day we buy an air conditioner, a cold front comes through and its been in the 70's on the boat all day! No matter, we're running the AC anyway; we want to be cold! As usual, it was interesting trying to communicate our needs to the retailers in La Ceiba, where we shopped around for the right size and price. At one point, Jon even walked next door to a Spanish school, snagged a Dutch girl waiting outside for class to begin that spoke a little English and a little Spanish, and she helped translate! Looks like we're set now for the Rio where our friends are telling us it is HOT, HOT, HOT! We plan to attend Spanish school in the Rio too.

We combined buying the AC with getting our dental cleanings today. Seems it's the thing to do here and for $30, we each got a cleaning and exam. But it gets even more interesting. Turns out the Honduran dentist, Dr. Laura, went to high school at Rice Academy in Vermont- she's 3 years older than us. Then she went to school in Burlington, lived in the dorm at UVM for a little while, then actually lived with with one of my old professors from nursing school since they were family friends. I got a good cleaning, plus an update on how my old professor is doing in her retirement. Too weird. She chooses to live here instead of the US since she works less but still has "everything done for her" in the form of a maid, gardener, etc.

We got a few groceries while in town since we've found a great store with excellent cheese like gorganzola and fancy parm along with pretty good produce. The grocery store cracks me up since they have a DJ who is spinning dance music at high volume blasting through the store. You feel like you should be dancing rather than shopping and after each song he yells a few sentences in Spanish that we can't understand and then puts on the next tune. But then I guess this isn't any more odd than listening to "SleighBells Ring... are you listenin'.. Christmas song on the chicken bus in between Spanish music. Jon and I could sing to that one! Or the mayonnaise on the shelf in Belize that said on the label: "Heavy Duty Mayonnaise"- whatever that is I don't want to know. We meant to get a picture to prove it. And also for the record, a chicken bus is called that because it is OK for locals to bring chickens on the bus or any other item they're taking to market since it is the main means of transportation for many people.

We're ready to head to Roatan but now the weather isn't right. Will likely leave on Friday.

Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]