Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

We´re in Providencia

02 March 2009 | Isla Providencia, Columbia
Heather
From Providencia
Just a quick update since the internet here is painfully slow. We´ve been in here an hour trying to upload some pictures that aren´t worth it I don´t think! We had a nice trip here. It took us about 30 hours and except for getting around the tip of Nicaragua, it was a fine passage. We love the way our boat sails and how comfortably it carries us from place to place.

We like Providencia. The landscape is strinkingly beautiful, the people are friendly and they have a beautiful park on a adjacent island with a cute walkway and trail that leads out to a point called Morgan´s Head. The first day we were here we walked the trail, then yesterday we took a 3 1-2 hour snorkel along that same side of the island which was really fun. We saw an octopus living in a conch shell, an eel out swimming around hunting with 2 fish following along hoping for scraps and 3 lettuce sea slugs which are beautiful. The name doesn´t do them justice.

Providencia is also home to a stunningly blue lizard that we saw on one of our walks. We hope to get a good picture of one. This will be a great island to bike on so we plan to do that and tomorrow we´re taking a hike with another couple to the highest peak here called Pico. Today we´re walking to the other side where there´s another park that we´ve heard good things about.... if we ever get out of this internet place.

I meant to mention that when we were sailing to the Hobbies, we had the new fishing pole that Chickcharnie gave us out along with our hand line and we actually caught 2 barracuda. We let one go and kept one which we ate with some reservation about ciguatera but it was fine. We made ceviche, grilled it, made fish sandwiches and we´ve still got more left. Rosie also taught me how to make a curry, and we made that one night with some lobster and conch and it was SO good!

Well, that´s what we´re doing lately. We plan to spend a few more days here and then head to San Andres, another Columbian island 50 miles South of here for a quick stop to refuel and reprovision and then on to the San Blas Islands. The season is moving briskly so we need to also.

Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]