The Adventures of Smart Move

13 June 2015 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
24 May 2015 | Saints Anne, Martinique
24 March 2015 | Puerto del Rey Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
01 February 2015 | Charlestown, Nevis
13 January 2015 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
03 December 2014 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
01 December 2014 | Somewhere in the Caribbean Sea
01 December 2014 | Somewhere In The Caribbean Sea
30 November 2014 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
22 November 2014 | Puerto del Rey Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
29 October 2014 | San Juan, Puerto Rico
26 August 2014 | Cheyenne, Wyoming
01 August 2014 | Highlands Ranch, Colorado
29 July 2014 | Cheyenne, Wyoming
16 May 2014 | Sunbay Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
15 May 2014 | Sunbay Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
14 May 2014 | Sunbay Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
02 April 2014 | Terre D'en Haut, Iles des Saintes
31 March 2014 | Prince Rupert Bay, Dominica

Refueling in Petite Martinique

21 February 2014 | Admiralty Bay, Bequia
Robyn

Petite Martinique is 2½ miles away from Carriacou, and also a part of Grenada. With its 586 acres and population of 900 life here is the way I would have imagined the West Indian life would have been 50 years ago. The people here live by boat-building, fishing and seafaring. The village had a feeling of peaceful tranquility about it that is rare in our modern, hectic world.

The main draw for cruisers is the cheap diesel, gas and water prices. We had traveled from Carriacou in the company of Gary and Marie on s/v Mai Tai and Colin and Izzi on s/v Endorphin. It was a short one-hour sail to Petite Martinique. Once we arrived madness ensued! Apparently we weren't the only boats there to fill up our tanks. We spent the next two hours jockeying for position and then keeping our position in the line (or queue as they say here) not an easy feat in a boat is constantly being pushed around by the wind and the currents!



Mai Tai was the first to get onto the dock and set about filling both of their diesel tanks, all of their water tanks and getting gas for their generator and outboard motor. They were about half way done when we got our place on the dock across from them - Endorphin was still maintaining their position offshore. It turns out that the water pressure was really low and it was taking a really long time to fill up the water tanks. We can hold 167 gallons of water, at a rate of about two gallons per hour we would have been there a long time. Fortunately for us we had been making water and were not completely empty - we were just topping off.

As we were just finishing up with water, diesel and Barry was taking the gas cans to get filled, Endorphin was taking their place at the end of the dock. About ten minutes later, Barry returned with empty gas cans as myself, the crew of Mai Tai and Endorphin were trying to figure out how to get the water turned on so they could start filling up - they were nearly out of water. Also returning with Barry was the dock attendant with the news that power had gone out on the island and therefore none of the pumps were working, leaving Endorphin with no water, diesel or gas!



Have you ever wondered what good friends do in a situation like that? Share your own water, diesel, and gas? Well no. We left them there at the dock, us and Mai Tai, and sailed on to Petite St. Vincent for the night! What a rotten thing to do huh? Well it would be if we were at sea and we would never leave another boat in distress like that. But in this case, Petite St. Vincent was just under a mile away - just across the channel. It didn't take long for the power to come back on and before we knew it Endorphin was anchored just behind us.

Comments
Vessel Name: Smart Move
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Salt Lake City, Utah
Crew: Barry, Robyn, Lilly and Chloe
Smart Move's Photos - Main
The Big Little Island
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2014
9 Photos
Created 2 December 2012
9 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
Pictures from Sherri's October 2012 visit.
9 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
Our time in Fajardo, Puerto Rico
6 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
1 Photo
Created 7 September 2012
Pictures from Miami, Florida 2012
3 Photos
Created 25 February 2012
San Juan February 2012
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
5 Photos
Created 14 January 2012