exploring the dream

04 December 2013 | Barra De la Navidad
19 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
18 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
05 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
03 November 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
01 November 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
30 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
30 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
28 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
27 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
26 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
24 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
22 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
19 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
17 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
15 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
14 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
12 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
10 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
09 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea

Pincoya's Great Adventure

31 May 2013 | 100 miles E of NZ
Gene and Gloria
May 30, 2013 at 11:15 am, Gene and Gloria departed Opua, New Zealand for the Australs in French Polynesia. Pincoya was again filled to the brim with food, alcohol, diesel and water. Food and alcohol were purchased to last us for nine months, the approximate time that we expect it will take us to make our first port in Mexico. We have a plan, but we will fill you in bit by bit as plans do change frequently.

It could not have been a nicer day for departing, waiting for high tide to leave our marina berth as current is extremely strong in the bay. Our good friends, Kevin and Jan, and Dave and Munjoya were at the dock to cast off our dock lines and wave farewell. It was a difficult time saying good bye to our good friends and to New Zealand after having spent three six month seasons.

The wind was light so we are motor sailing and currently passing Cape Brett. Our first challenge began just before we left the Bay of Islands and our wind direction indicator would not callibrate. This meant that Gene had to be hoisted up the mast while we bobbed with the current by Roberton Island. After masthead adjustment of the wind direction feather, all is well as we begin the first leg of our 2,500 mile sail to the Australs with the expectation of being at sea for 20 to 25 days. We started with our jib poled out and were able to turn off the diesel engine at Cape Brett. We are travelling loosely in company with Gypsy Blues, Rene and Cheryl, who are also going to French Polynesia. So we will check in with each other, and I with the Pacific Seafarers Ham net, who transmit our position reports to yotreps reports at the pangolin website. We are also following waypoints recommended by our weather router Bob McDavitt of NZ, a former professional meteorologist.

After a quiet night with starry skies, we woke to our first full day at sea; welcome back to water world! The seabirds fly around us, the breeze is 10 to 15 on the beam, seas less than 1 meter, sunny skies, puffy white clouds, and all is well. This may be our nicest passage beginning yet! At least a chance to get our sea legs for a bit before the first nasty storm hits�..... The grib weather files indicate mild weather for the next two days; we will see. Gotta go, time for weather faxes to download by the single sideband radio.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pincoya
Vessel Make/Model: Island packet 44, 1995, Cutter Rig
Hailing Port: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Crew: Gene Dennis, Gloria Watson

Who: Gene Dennis, Gloria Watson
Port: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA