Swingin' on a Star

An ocean going catamaran

Running out of things to do

In port another day. NWS says whole gale off Point Reyes today and tomorrow. Monday the wind cools off a bit but the seas are still big and steep. Tuesday picks back up to 35 knot gusts and >10' combined seas. So we're camping out in the bay a few more days.

Wednesday looks like our day to head out. West wind at 10-15 and wind waves 5-6' with a 2-4' swell. Just about perfect. Swingin' on a Star's fastest point of sail is on the beam. If the wind holds as predicted we should be able to make 8-10 knots. Given the near perfect forecast we have decided to sail straight from the bay to either Sacate anchorage off Gaviota or down to an anchorage on Santa Cruz island. A nice non-stop with only one or two nights at sea.

Today we finished organizing just about everything aboard. Jeff and Flo were running everywhere getting us little finishing touches like a new 9v battery and connector for the laser range finder, more milk (for lattes) and a bunch of other random stuff.

We broke two zippers trying to get the dodger zipped back on. Fortunately Jeff has friends in the canvas trade who helped us out, so the dodger is back on and looking good.

We emptied and cleaned up the sail locker and checked over the spinnaker and stay sail, as well as the spare anchor which is stowed there under all of the sails.

We also ran around deck seizing all of the shackles that have shed their security wires over the last several months. We're just about out of things to do (short of the big jobs on tap for San Diego). Having nothing on the todo list is a very rare state for a sailor to be in. Feels kinda strange to be frank...


Comments