Swingin' on a Star

An ocean going catamaran

Sailing out the Golden Gate

We were up at 3AM to get the boat ready to leave the dock for the last time. It was exciting, a little sad, and very dark. Jeff and Flo actually came over from their yacht a little before 3, but the usual coffee ritual and other prep had us casting off at 4AM.

We headed out into the dark San Francisco bay in transit to Emeryville Marina, where they have an automated fuel dock (which makes it possible to get fuel 24/7). It is a tricky entrance and we almost missed it in the dark but a last minute zig had us lined up and on the way to fueling up.

Once topped up we headed out for the golden gate (pictures forthcoming). There was a strong ebb (maybe 2 -3 knots) and some wind. We sailed out the gate but then quickly switched to motor sailing with the wind mostly on the nose for the rest of the day.

We had a decent swell and some south wind waves mixing it up but the ride wasn't too bad. The worst part of the exit was avoiding all of the dang crab pot floats.

It is cold, 50 something, and add to that a 10-15 knot wind chill and lots of layers were called for. Everyone had their foulies on, along with harnesses and tethers. The sky was pure blue and the sun was bright however so, though cold, it was a lovely nor cal day.

We're approaching Santa Cruz now but are going to stay outside the Monterey Bay and head straight on to Point Sur, overnighting to San Simeon and then on Thursday around Point Conception. Expected anchorage is Secate near Gaviota.

We have a green crew but everyone is doing great and learning a ton, so it has been a fun sail training trip so far as well.

TH says: The waves are breaking big in Santa Cruz, I want to go surf!

Swingin' on a Star out, until tomorrow...

Comments