Our Sea Era

31 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
18 March 2010 | Mexico
16 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
01 March 2010 | Mexico
25 February 2010 | Mexico
20 February 2010 | Mexico
16 February 2010 | Mexico

Tenacatita, Chamela and Ipala

01 March 2010 | Mexico
Rich
Pic 4 dolphins swam around our boat every day but couldn't get all in one photo, you may see the faint images of a couple of them below the surface

We weighed anchor at 7:00am from Las Hadas for a 7 hour sail to Tenacatita. We arrived at about 2:00pm. The seas were very, very lumpy, but there was not much wind. S/v Gato Go pulled in shortly after we dropped anchor. There were about 20 boats anchored there. The last time we were here we took our dinghy up the river, they refer to it as the jungle ride because it has low hanging branches and it gets dark in there because the sun can't get through the over-growth. Lots of strange creatures in there. It is about a 2 hour dinghy trip one way and they suggest you head back before it gets dark. Good idea. We didn't take the trip this time. Tenacatita is also the location of the old TV show called Mchale's Navy. We mostly relaxed and were planning on staying for 2-3 days, until we heard a knock on our hull at 7:30 in the morning of our second day. The person who knocked on our hull was in his dinghy and said there was an 8+ earthquake in Chili and that a tsunami would be hitting our anchorage around 11:00 this morning. It wasn't supposed to be bad, maybe only a little surge. We tuned our radio on and heard other boats giving predictions based on what weather input they got from the Tsunami Warning Center. Well it didn't take long to clear out the anchorage. We were gone by 9:00 and by the time we got out into the ocean there we no more boats in the anchorage. The Tsunami Warning Center said that if you get out away from shore and into 600 ft or more deeper water then nothing should be felt. A lot of the boats out there were just hanging around until the 11:00 surge was over then head back into the anchorage. We decided not to go back and instead headed to Chamela which was our next destination about 5 hours away. We did not feel anything during our sail to Chamela. We arrived there 3:00 in the afternoon.

It was kind of spooky coming into Chamela because there were no boats in the anchorage. When we were here before there were about 15 boats here. We figured the same thing that emptied Tenacatita happened here. Everyone went out to sea and decided to continue on to some place else. We anchored and that later 3 more boats came in to anchor. The little village hadn't change and the palapas were still there. The surge on the beach was not good for a dinghy beach landing. In fact when we were here before we got swamped in our dinghy tying to get back to the boat. Our camera got soak and never recovered. We stayed for 2 days and left for Ipala. We have been trying to plan so we would round Cabo Corrientes (Cape Currents) with fairly good weather. We will stop and anchor at Ipala which is about 2 to 3 hours before the Cape.

We arrived at 5:30pm 10 1/2 hours of motor sail but we got there before dark. This a very small bay/fishing village. there is room for about 2 or 3 boats. There are lots of fishing nets and roped off section so there are not many choices to pick to anchor. There was one other boat there when we got there and the fishermen were stringing out lines all around us. We planned on leaving at 7:00am the next morning to get a jump start on getting around Cabo Corrientes. Fortunately when we were ready to weigh anchor the nets had been cleared and fishermen gave us a thumbs up so we headed out.

The wind was around 10 knots when we left the anchorage and was up to 20 knots as we were rounding Cabo Corrientes. The seas were a little confused and the currents were against us but once we rounded the cape it started to settle down and the current diminished to 0.5 knots against us, so we were happy. We set our heading for La Cruz in Banderas Bay. We passed Puerto Vallarta. We anchored in La Cruz anchorage and planed to go into the marina the next day. There were about 30 boats at the anchorage and it looked like some kind of race was going up heading up to Punt Mita.
Comments
Vessel Name: SoCal SoGood
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: San Diego, Ca
Crew: Pat and Rich Merrall
Extra:
We chose the title "Our Sea Era" for two reasons. The first one is that over the next several years we will be living our lives on the sea. It will be an exciting time, we will be sailing down the coast of Mexico and Central America, through the Panama Canal and throughout the West Indies in the [...]

SoCal SoGood

Who: Pat and Rich Merrall
Port: San Diego, Ca