Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

End of Richards Bay

20 November 2014
Gina & Paul
Photo – These guys are like garden gnomes – very popular.
Now we are back on the boat, it is time to really finish some boat chores. This was in-between getting out and about some more, and stocking up the boat with more supplies. We decided to pick up what we can to restock while we still have a hire car and schlepping groceries is so much easier than walking or on a bus. We sorted through all the goodies I bought back, stowed some and put some aside for later work to be done. The watermaker was high on our list of to fix so Paul installed all the new components. It was almost like a new watermaker with all the parts we have replaced or reconditioned over the past 2 years. Came the day when we were finally started it up again after 3 months of no use and 3 months of diminished output. Surprisingly enough, it worked first time. It is now working just like new and with capacity like we have never seen. We are very happy. We had the engine driven fridge/freezer compressor system looked at, and after spending what seemed like a boat load of money on it, decided it needed to go south. Now we are down to one system each for fridge and freezer and we just hope they remain reliable The issues we had in the past with the current system seem to be fixed. All that needs doing is new wiring needs to be run. A job for when we have nothing else to do. We now have the wire, so it is on the to do list. Most of the boat has been cleaned, all the filters changed, oil change done, tanks full of diesel, fridge freezer well stocked. Now we enjoy the pace of life here, look at the weather daily and see the last of the local sights. We enjoyed the local Braai’s at the yacht club and the waterfront dining at the marina. We weathered out several big blows as we watch the docks fall apart around us. This marina is in serious need of repair so we are constantly monitoring for boat safety, both for us and the boats around us. Even though we will miss Richards Bay, we hope the marina stays in one piece till we leave. Our plan is to head to East London or beyond at the next weather window, getting as far toward Cape Town as we can before the weather changes again. It seems that many people are doing the same so we will be in good company. This part of the coast is known as the “Wild Coast”. We figure on not being the one to contradict the reputation. As the weather improves enough to make the final departure plans, we are given more news that a container ship has lost 45 containers, bobbing away on the course we plan to take, so watches will take on a whole new light. We commenced the checking out procedure, as it is a little long winded (actually very long winded for domestic travel between local ports). For those of you who quilt, it was like a Quilt Shop Hop where we had to collect stamps from the various agencies. But I wasn’t able to buy any fabric from anywhere along the way. Not to mind, at least I got all the stamps. The marina faxed our completed forms and made The Phone Call (the important last step), and all we have left to do now is leave.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016