Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Time to Move

31 December 2014
Gina & Paul
We have spent some more time out and about in Cape Town and surrounds, enjoyed some of what this wonderful city has to offer, learnt the public transport system well and really feel at home here. We have walked the hills and the city and it never ceases to amaze us that this is one of the most delightful cities we have been in. But time to move. We decided (I am still not sure why) to register for the Governors Cup race to St Helena. This will be our very first official race to enter. We decided to take the easy route and hang out at the back of the fleet, as we do not want to mix it with the really serious racers. It would be like taking your home out to the Sunday Drag races and I am not aware of anybody who wants to do that. The main reason was the benefits that it offered us. For the cost of the entry, we got free moorings and fees for most of our stay in Simons Town, parties, free moorings and fees in St Helena, and the chance to meet a bunch of new people. It made for the math equation to favour us. Most of the entrants are South African and we were one of two foreign boats. The whole process of entering was different for us. We had to measure sails and everything else to get a rating. We had to arrange for our boat to be scrutinized and pass muster. We had to ensure we had each piece of safety equipment that they required. And it seems like we met their criteria. It is not too hard to do on a well equipped off shore cruising boat such as ours. We had all they required and more. The scrutinizer was very helpful and assured us that he had no problem with cruising boats, so spent his time with us going over the ins and outs of local conditions. Nothing like local knowledge to get around the last piece of potentially nasty water; Cape Point. All in all the process was not very arduous. One of the best parts was getting a waiver to not to have to take the boat to Cape Town to check out. That was well worth for us, the Royal Cape Yacht Club has not been too friendly toward us and we did not want to go there, even to check out. They also charge for what is a free service and pocket the money. So now it was a round of goodbyes yet again to a wonderful group of people that we have been with on and off since Indonesia and we all make different plans. At least some of them we will meet again in Trinidad as some are hauling their boats out of the water for the hurricane season like us. We have absolutely loved South Africa, and even we have been warned many times about the crime that happens here, we have been warmly greeted and treated by the local people in all areas we have been. The countryside is stunning and offers such a wide variety of landscape and animal life, more than most places we have been. If bureaucracy would only change the rules that limit our stay here, then we would definitely stay longer. But move on we must.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016