Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Day 12

08 January 2015
Gina
Nothing has changed for us. The wind is non existent most of the time so we have been alternating between slow sailing and motoring. We are tending to more of the slow sailing now that we know the price of diesel on St Helena - GBP 1.20 per liter. Not what we had budgeted for but will have to buy some. Due to the amount of motoring we have done, we realized we were probably outside the allowance made in the race rules so we have withdrawn from the race. This is so we can make some way under motor in lieu of hanging out here for another week or two till the wind arrives. Apparently we are not the first and we suspect that a few more will follow. Many have pulled out of the racing division and entered in the cruising division because it has become almost impossible to sail at times with the lack of wind. The upside is that we continue to enjoy the great weather, BBQ every couple of days, get some more books read and enjoy sunrise and sunset with unobstructed views. Because it is so calm, preparing food is not a chore and we have extended ourselves to modified hamburgers, shrimp salad, T bone steak and coleslaw, bacon and egg pie, to name a few culinary delights. We have passed one of the sailboats as they still try to meet the rules of sailing the entire way so a chatting on the VHF makes for an entertaining afternoon. It amazing how you can always find something to talk about when you meet someone for the first time in the vast ocean and no one else is around. We will definitely be catching up with Cool Runnings for a cold beer when we get to St Helena.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016