Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Day 25 North Atlantic Ocean

21 February 2015
The winds have been from light to strong and the direction varies somewhat so we are kept on our toes with ensuring we do not get too far off the rhumb line. But we were sailing and not motoring so bypassed Suriname. We get a fair amount of squalls and are managing the leaks we have. Laundry is all dry and ready for a big wash when we get to Trinidad. The sea state is not that kindly but some days are a 2 pot dinner, some a one pot dinner. We have finally eaten the freezer of all its food and have turned it off. This has helped a lot with power consumption. As we slowly eat our way through the cupboards, the remainder jars and cans keep up a good amount of noise and everyday we are trying to locate errant noises and stuff whatever we have to quiet the cupboards down. This is the down side to eating food from the cupboards. They are so well packed when we leave so has to not move around and bang and clatter. The generator is still fickle but, with some TLC and sweet words, it still manages to keep going most of the time; when we want it to. We haven�'t had to resort to Plan B yet for minimal power use. The wind and solar are doing a good job of keeping up with our daytime usage. Nighttime is when we run into a deficit. Paul has had one wee adventure up the mast as one of the batons came out and was above the spreader. It had to be retrieved so we could furl the sail. Not an easy task when the boat is rolling from one side to the other. About now we are really counting down the miles as they tick on by. 248 miles to go.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016