Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Scarborough, Tobago

02 December 2015
Looking back toward the port.
We arrived in Tobago after a day motoring into a head wind but once we leave Tobago, we know we will be set up for a great sail further up the line. We anchored at Store Bay, knowing we would have to catch local transport over to Scarborough to clear in. Trinidad and Tobago has a thing about clearing in and out of each town you stop in. We stopped by Nomad and Paul and Sue gave us the rundown of how to get to town the cheapest and easiest way. It was a beach landing for the dinghy and we had to start locking it up. Unfortunately, dinghy thefts are prevalent throughout the Caribbean. This is a new concept for us but I guess we will get used to it. We walked to the roundabout and just put out our hand for a ride. Apparently, taxis are very few and far between here so private vehicles have set a rate and pick people up as they drive around. We got in, negotiated the price (thank goodness we had been told the rate beforehand) and went in the general direction. Of course, it is never quite that simple. We ended up on a very pleasant tour of the surrounds as the driver picked up and dropped off people where they wanted to go. We did end up at the ferry terminal as we requested but it was the long way around. Never complain about a free tour. We found immigration at the ferry building, having to walk through security as if we were boarding a plan. Unfortunately, the Immigration officer had to go to Trinidad and wasn’t there and wouldn’t be back till after the weekend. We pleaded about wanting to leave soon and the guy eventually made a phone call, took a copy of our papers and sent us on our way with clearance to the next town. We then found customs and made the same plight. He gave us our forms and sent us on our way. We got directions for the best hardware store in town and walked to it. The directions were up the road that goes up the hill. There were a few roads and a few hills but we eventually found it. We did find a make-do for the part that had split on our watermaker, so it was back in business again. We ended up climbing the hill to Scarborough’s original Fort King George. It dated back to the French occupation in 1783. After a late lunch in town, it was time to put our hand out and get a ride back to Store Bay and the boat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016