Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Grenada Tour

09 December 2015
We were tossing up whether to hire a car or do a tour of the island to have a look around. In the end we decided to arrange a tour. We were fortunate that we were the only ones on a tour for the day so we had an air-conditioned mini van for us and Mike and Sue from Infini. After about an hour on the roads, we decided it was a good idea to have a driver. The main road around the island here is in varying states of repair and varying width. At times it was only the width of what we would call a one lane road but it was their main 2 way. We ended up driving along the southern bays and looking at some of the other anchorages. Most of Grenada is steep sided hills so many of the houses are built on concrete stilts of some description. They are quite a mix from some really grand mansions to wooden shacks. Our driver was great, he would stop by the side of the road and show us some of the local spices that grow everywhere. This island is called the spice island and it was easy to smell why. As we drove through some parts and stopped, we could smell the cocoa, the nutmeg. We stopped at one of the many beautiful waterfalls that dot this island. The rainforest is what covers this islands so lots of greenery and water. We had a stop at Gouvaye, well known for its Fish Friday. As it was only Tuesday we missed out on the fish but stopped at the nutmeg processing plant. Here they process nutmeg for shipping around the world. They used to supply 90% of the world’s nutmeg but the trees were decimated by Hurricane Ivan and it has taken some time to recoup. Some plantations have changed over to Cocoa as it takes about half the time to grow. And so comes the stop at the chocolate factory. I will never look at a chocolate bar again the same. There is so much more to chocolate. It left a taste to die for. And of course we had to walk away with some.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016