Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Sint Maarten

14 January 2016
Tight fit for Galaxy, just one of the toys of a successful Austrian software developer.
Our next island stop was a mere 15 miles away, so it was a leisurely sail after morning tea. Definitely a civilized way to do things. We arrived in Sint Maarten just after lunch. This was the Dutch side of the island St Marten. We checked into the Dutch side and found the yacht club had happy hour so off we went. The St Maarten Yacht Club overlooks the bridge going into the lagoon. The lagoon here is the home of super and mega yachts when they are not cruising the Caribbean and the bridge is only opened at certain times during the day (unless they pay the big bucks to have it open at their convenience). One of the best free entertainments is to sit at the yacht club and watch the super yachts squeeze through the bridge. It is certainly hair-raising for some of them. One of the biggest yachts in the lagoon never used to fit through the bridge opening till he paid to get it widened 3ft. I guess you have to spend your money on something. St Marten is a tax-free island and everything is imported. The supermarkets have a choice that far exceeds anything we have ever seen. But they have to cater to the super yacht clientele. We can also buy anything we want for the boat in the way of parts for the boat, at a price. We did get what we needed but left some items for when we can get stateside. There are a myriad of bars and they all have happy hour. It is an easy place to get stuck in.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016