Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

OOPS! A bad day in paradise

07 March 2016
The locals had a better day than us.
After a great day out and about in the countryside, we arrived back in Deshaie. We decided to continue our French themed day, picked up some cheese, a fresh baguette and some Bordeaux. So far so good but then we had one of those moments. The outboard dies about 6ft from the boat. We started drifting back as it was blowing like a lot. I picked up an oar and Paul picked up the other oar that promptly fell in half. It seemed the pop rivet that holds the two halves together had popped out and the paddle half of his oar was afloat (thank goodness they float.) We finally managed to pick up the half oar we had lost after going around in a few circles with one oar. But now it seemed we were moving out to sea at a great rate of knots. We finally managed to grab one of the anchored boats and they generously allowed us to tie up while we sorted out the outboard. We checked for the obvious – have we got fuel. Next, as Paul took off the fuel cap for the outboard, the clip that holds it on broke and the fuel cap fell into ocean. The fetch was enough to get water into the dinghy and I could see the baguette being ruined. I managed to save half the baguette. Eventually we got the outboard started and made our way back to the boat but it really needed some TLC; minus a fuel cap. But the day got better; I was able to resurrect enough of the baguette to enjoy with some very nice Brie and Bordeaux. So a good ending to a good day. And all we need to do is fix the outboard and oar. That is the other side to cruising – fixing the boat in yet another exotic location.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016