Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Our boatyard Babe

22 March 2016
Our boatyard Babe
So now we are out of the water and living on land again. It is hot with little wind as we work to tidy up and start on the list of maintenance projects. We also sit and talk about the next leg of our adventure and where we might go next. We truly enjoyed the Caribbean, especially when Emily joined us. But it is a busy place. We found many places where cruisers like to hang out and the local communities have built their businesses and services around that. They were easy to become our Tarpit Harbour. We have also been able to find some great little places where few do go. We have thoroughly enjoyed the company of many cruising friends, both old and new and hope to meet them again. We thought it generally to be one of the more expensive areas we have been to, even though we found the occasional bargain. It seems that the US prices have been replicated in many places in the Caribbean and that was disappointing. Places where cruise ships go and where there are many charter boats were the most expensive. Our dealings with the officialdom in each country were generally the easiest, quickest, and cheapest we have ever encountered. Unlike many places we have been to, not one official needed to come to our boat. Our experiences ranged from filling in a form on a computer and paying 2 euro for the printing of the form in a local café - to having to deal with one particular customs lady that had the attitude of “how dare you interrupt my computer game and expect me to do the work that I am paid for”. I thank all for following along with us and I hope to continue when we start up again late in the year. I also hope to be timelier about posting blog next time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016