Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Bonaire

07 December 2016
Landfall was the low-lying area of the island. As we rounded the southern end, we were close enough to see the old huts used by the slaves several centuries ago and several buildings, some still in use and some abandoned. It had a wind blown look with even the coconut trees only having fronds on one side. We sailed past the salt works and the salt ponds on our way to the one and only place we can moor; along side the main town of Kralendijk. The entire marine environment around Bonaire is declared a marine park and all anchoring is forbidden. Other than a couple of small marinas, the national park has placed about 40 moorings along the waterfront. We picked up one of the moorings and we were then able to take in the sights. What amazed us first off was the local water polo team practicing in the sea along the waterfront. They take out the nets and tie them off and then progress to a game of water polo. We were also in crystal clear water and the marine life around and under the boat was plentiful and kept us amused at times. After diving on the mooring to check on it’s status, I was able to take in the marine life and realize there is sufficient cause to make this island one of the best dive spots in the world. Many tourists come here; hire a car and just drive from spot to spot, as there are literally hundreds of great dive spots right off the waterfront. We enjoyed several days of laid back Bonaire till we were faced one morning with one of the behemoths of the sea – one of the largest capacity cruise ships around. 5000 people were let off in the morning and that certainly changed the flavor of the town. One thing we did notice was the “cruise ship” prices. Posted prices at restaurants were suddenly increased so time for more eating on the boat. For the time we were here, there were only several days where no cruise ship came and some days there were 2. But such is life in the Caribbean. I did manage a few dives and the visibility was excellent along with the variety of sea life.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016