Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Matylda Transits

20 February 2017
Gatun Locks with a "small" Big boat.
Our friends Matt and Dagma asked us to line handle for them as they transited the Panama Canal. Each boat needs at least 4 line handlers and one captain. Most sailboats need some sort of extra crew. We were thankful for the ask as we really wanted to transit on another boat before we took our boat through. So 4 of us aboard Matylda took off one morning for Colon. We picked up lines, tires (for fendering) and Curtis to make 4 line handlers and the Captain. We spent the night in Shelter Bay Marina as it makes it a little easer to do the last minute preparations; something that we will do. The anchorage by the canal also had the disadvantage of being a little rolly at times due to the big boat traffic. Matt and Dagma were gracious hosts, Dagma cooked for us and Matt handled the boat. It was a pleasure to be on a sailboat without the stress. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Edwin was the Canal advisor and he was very pleasant. After the 3 Gatun Locks, we moored up to a big ship buoy in the middle of Gatun Lake. The advisor left and it was time to enjoy halfway through the Panama Canal. Our advisor arrived just after 0700 the next morning and Matylda was lucky to get the same advisor. We have read of some advisors not being as passionate about their job as Edwin. We progressed the next day through Gatun Lake, to the Culebra Cut, under the Centennial Bridge to the Pedro Miguel Lock, Mira Flores Lake then the 2 Mira Flores locks and we were in the Pacific. It was an amazing experience and gave us invaluable insight for when we do our transit next week.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016