Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Rebuilding Bahia De Caraquez

28 March 2017
Rebuilding Bahia De Caraquez
Unfortunately an earthquake ravished this town less than a year ago and much of the infrastructure was still in disarray. The fact the people welcomed us in light on their own tragedy was certainly heartwarming, Many of the high rise apartment buildings around here were damaged, if not already a pile of rubble. But demolition and reconstruction was certainly happening. A very small brand new Shopping mall was a 10 minute walk for us and the Hypermart had the usual assortment of a little of something but a lot of nothing. Still, we could make do with what they had to offer. We had to spend the next day on a trip to Customs in Manta, a 2-hour drive away. The price of the driver was included in our check in fee and Juan came with us as he spoke some English. Not sure why we needed to go as all we had to do was sign a few bits of paper. But it was a very enjoyable trip through the countryside. We spent a few days cleaning up the boat and doing some maintenance. We also spent the time to arrange a flight to the Galapagos. We were able to pick up a very reasonable boat cruise in the island from local place that deals in last minute deals. Still, walking around the town certainly made us realize, yet again, that we really had no issues. The locals showed a level of tenacity and resilience only seen in those that have had an event that threatens their very existence.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016