Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Mexico - Out and About.

01 December 2007 | Partida
Gina
We had the recent experience of trying to find provisions and goods out and about in Mexico. It is a rather pleasant test of patience. I had the pleasure of traveling with a few other gringo cruisers to what we thought was the farmers markets to beat all markets on the outskirts of town. Armed with directions and very little spanish we headed off. SOme of us just wanted to hop the taxi and get there as we knew it was by the panteon (cemetery) and others wanted the experience of the local bus. If you can imagine the worse american yellow school bus and then imagine it after a few more thousand miles, that is what constitutes the local bus. Still it is funny to watch the road travel beneath your feet. Or was that just part of the air conditioning system. We found a bus where the driver assured us he went out that way and with the help of a couple of students on board, we figured the driver was going where we needed to go. We weren't sure at one point when all the mexicans got off and then the route took us down some dirt road and what we would think are back alleys. When we saw a bus coming the other way we figured we were actually on a bona fide route. We finally got to the end stop and the driver indicated the direction. We walked on past the cemetery and found the "farmers Market" If you and imagine all the goods at the good will store that don't sell, this had to be it. No produce so there was nothing for it but to find lunch. We knew that Soriana's (the local mall) was not far so we decided to hop a bus for the mall, if nothing else to have a look. This is also where the big cineplex was as well but there was not much out at the movies anyway. The Mall was predominantly a big Walmart type store that also included a supermarket. There was also a bunch of small specialty shops in the mall as well. It was a much of a muchness as anywhere. We eventually got the bus back down town and ended up at a farmers market but it was really too late in the day to buy anything. So it was off home we went. At least we are getting good at the local bus system so far. We have had some other wee excursions out and about. We came across what appeared to be a small type of Smiths City Market only they had way less space and therefore much less range of goods, but they had a smattering of everything (almost). What was bizarre was seeing the wheel barrow tires being sold next to the cameras and the car tyre's being sold next to the T.V's. Not much range in T.V's though. A few flat screens but mostly the old style. We looked at the appliances and most were not the big american type we are used to but the smaller types that fit in flats, etc. An amazing find was that you can still buy, brand new, one of the old round tub washing machines, like my mother used to have. I thought that went out with the ark but I guess they are as reliable as heck and are worth the price. You could get one for around US$200. I couldn't found a hand wringer to go with it though. We also found the Hoover twin tub type - you know the ones that used to wreck the clothes. Shopping is a little like taking a step back in time. Grocery shopping is different - like looking a picture book - because my spanish is so bad, I have to look at the pictures to figure out what I am buying. We are forever on the look out for sausages as we know them. We haven't quite hit the mark yet, but it is sure fun eating what we have bought(and don't know what we are eating). We have found the closest thing to saveloys since leaving NZ. We are also trying the occasional produce that we are not sure about. I was also surprised at the auto parts (really just add ons to pimp your ride) selling musical instruments. Some stores have all sorts in them. The front window display just does not do justice to what is in the store. Some of the out lying markets are good for the occasional item but what is so stark is that the shelves are not stocked. There may be only a handful of each item and they spread them out so the shelves look rather thin on it. I guess it is all to do with supply and demand. It does make for limited conversation with the locals though.

La Paz is a large city as far as they go but it doesn't have the same priority on street works as other cities do. The main drags are ok (as long as you are not handicapped) but the back streets and those away from the tourist areas are basic dirt roads. I can imagine that explains the constant film of dust over everything.

So far life has slowed down. We are sitting in Partida Cove, at the islands off La Paz, watching the rain fall. It the 1st rain we have had since we don't know when. Good for cleaning the boat. Paul has finally picked up a novel and is reading it. We are listening to some good music and will generally just wait for the weather to clear. We had cocktails last night with a couple from Harrier. They were from Oregon so it was very refreshing to chat.

Must off, lunch just hit the table.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016